Logo

1998 Mercury 125. Starts on 2 cylinders

Bculver

My 125 mercury runs on 2 cylinders until it reaches 2000 rpm and then kicks into 4. Trying to use on waterski boat and it would be better if it ran on all 4 from the get go. Is there a way to make that happen?

not really they are designed that way that's why they are called 2+4. I had the same motor had no problems at all skiing actually was one of my better ski motors. why what is your problem you are having

not really they are designed that way that's why they are called 2+4. I had the same motor had no problems at all skiing actually was one of my better ski motors. why what is your problem you are having
Problem is that the motor is overpowered for boat and I can barely keep it running on 4 cylinders at the speed my wife likes to ski at. 17 foot Cobra. Had a 115 but blew the bottom end 2 weeks ago so took 125 off of a larger boat. I know that I should look for a 90 hp for it but would like to wait till fall and finish season with this motor.

Okay I think i can help you my guess is you are pulling her out slowly. If you pull her out of the water with more throttle when you back down to the speed she likes you will stay on the 4 cyl when you pull her slowly out of the water the transition is much more noticeable and is harder to adjust speed because of the surging effect from the transition. Mine was a 96 model great power smooth idle I wish i still had it

Back