Logo

BF50A LRTA no warning lights

Deanmck

Regular Contributor
Hi all.
I have a BF50A LRTA in fantastic condition. An easy starter and an all round good workhorse.
I have the problem of the pee hole blocking from time to time, but thats an easy fix.
My main concern is no warning lights or start up buzzer on my remote control box, neither with starting or sailing?
What is the usual order of advents ie. should I not have lights & buzzer with turning the ignition on or is everything as it is supposed to be?
I would presume that I should have a oil pressure warning (with buzzer) until the motor has built up oil pressure & temp warning to show the protection system is also working.
Help & advice welcomed.

Thanks Dean.

It is normal for no lights or buzzer to come on when you turn the key switch to on. However, once the motor is running, you should get a green oil pressure light (indicating oil pressure is good) . The red light and buzzer should come on only when there is an overheat.

If you do not have an owner's manual, that explains all this, you can download one for free from Honda...based on your frame serial number. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF50

Mike

Beauty.
Thanks Mike that's pretty much cleared up what I should expect to happen which is a great help. Now my only problem is that I have no green light with the motor running.
Is there anyone who can help me fail find this problem?
Oh & thank you very much for the link.

Dean

Thanks Dark Star.
but I may not have explained myself clearly. As in so much that I know where the lights and sensors are located & it seems to me the temp light may well be working as intended, but I have no feedback whatsoever neither stopped or started from the oil warning system. I am looking for help in so much as where my problem could originate from. Ie. What do I check and how do I check? As also what should I except if I remove the oil sensor wire from the sensor? Should I have a light & buzzer? What if I Earth the sensor wire to the motor-block what should I expect to happen?

Thanks Dean.

The oil pressure sender is on the upper rear port side of the motor. It should have a yellow lead going to it.

If the yellow lead is grounded and the engine is running, the light will be off.
If the yellow lead is disconnected and no ground on the wire, and engine is running, the light will come on.

The oil pressure switch is grounded when there is no oil pressure. When oil pressure builds up, the ground goes away and the green light should go on.

The yellow lead from the oil pressure switch goes to the ICM, which then controls the light.

If disconnecting the wire lights the light when the engine runs, then remove the oil pressure switch and clean out the little orifice with some solvent like brakekleen. Also, may sure the hole in the block is clear of any debris.

Mike

Back