Logo

Honda bf200 lower unit

islandboy123

Contributing Member
hello, does anybody know where i can find or buy a fixing tool? not sure what the correct name is , if u go in the manual it is on page 355/56. i believe when you are putting back in the prop shaft and gears you need this tool to realign the shims , not sure really. but it does not list the part number or anything

also do you guys know where i can buy a complete refurbished lower unit? i have a 2005 honda bf200 standard rotation 20"

thinking if to buy a rebuilt one or get a mechanic to fix my own, as water got in the lower unit so yeah mest up everything inside i would assume as the prop would not move and not go in gear

dont know if it is cheaper or better to buy a used refurbished lower unit or try get all the parts that i need , well that is if my mechanic can get the prop shaft off as it is dead stuck on and he cant get it off so far

any ideas would be great??

I took mine apart and swapped housings on it due to a crack on it..there was no "special" tool needed other than the one to remove the vertical shaft nut..I made a tool for that. Other than that it is easy

does anybody know how to measure the vertical shaft to tell if it is 20 OR 25INCH? from which part of the top to bottom do i start to measure to find out

my year motor is 2005, would a 2006 to 2008 lower unit fit with no issues?

They are not directly compatible. Depending on which way you are going (newer to older or older to newer), you will need to purchase a compatible shift rod A. The specific one will also depend on your shaft length.

The best way to check for shaft length is to measure the distance, assuming your motor is mounted all the way down and resting on your transom......measure from the top of the transom to the antiventilation plate (horizontal plate above the prop). It will be either 20 - 22, 25 - 27, or 30 -32 inches.

Mike

I've heard horror stories about rebuilt ones lasting a year or so...I would cough up the $3k and get a brand new one, especially if you are running a single engine

well i wish i had the money to buy a new one right now , so only other option is a good used one or a rebuilt one.

hey honda dude, my unit is off the motor right now so guess cant measure the way you are describing

the rebuilt or use one i am thinking on buying is a newer year i think either a 2007 or 08. so would it bolt right up to my 2005 motor with no issues? from a few folks i heard it should fit with no problems, but just want to be sure

thank you

As I said before, the new unit will not bolt right up to the older motor. There was a change in the shift rod in 2006. So you will have to buy an appropriate shift rod (rod that goes from the gear case up to the base of the powerhead. The ends of the old ones do not match up, and I think the lengths are just a tad different also.

Once you figure out the shaft length, I can post the correct part number for you.

I do not know how to tell you for sure what the shaft length is off of the motor. Just measure the motor like I suggested down to where the gearcase meets the midsection and add it to the length of the mating surface on the gearcase to the horizontal fin just above the prop.

Unless someone on the forum has a unit laying around that they can measure the vertical shaft and tell you what that is and what the transom height of the engine is. Then you have somewhere to start.

Mike

ok

so if i get a shift rod from a 2008 wil it work with my 2005 motor then? and thats all i would have to change?

for the vertical shaft is that something easy that can change in case i have to change because of the length ?

I have a 25" back up unit in my shop, but won't be able to measure it until Sunday if you want to wait.I'm out of town

The bulletin says.....if installing an A6 (2006) or later gearcase on an A2 (2002) - A5 (2005) motor with 25" shaft, you need to replace shift rod A with 24320-ZY3-306.

As I said before, shift shaft A, is the long shift shaft that goes from the lower unit all the way up the swivel tube to the powerhead. It will pull out once you have the lower unit off. You just have to be sure to orient the splines correctly when you install the new one.

Mike

Ambiance,

hondadude hasn't posted here in several years so I doubt that you will get an answer to your question on this thread. I don't have the info you seek either but just wanted to let you know that you weren't being ignored.

You might try posting a new thread to see if someone else here might have what you need.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Back