Logo

identifying the year model for my 8hp Marnier

rblood

I recently received an 8hp marnier from an older fellow and he knows nothing about it but neither do i. I cleaned it up and it runs like a c top with the exception of the water pump, it is not working. I can feel air coming out of the water jets but no water when it is either in a barrel or I have some muffs on it. The numbers on it are, 8m 6G1 S 019571 made in Japan. Any information on this from year modle to suggestions on the problems and fixes would be greatly appreciated, I am also under the assumption that I will have to drop the lower unit to access the water pump. Any advice on this action would be appreciated as well as I am no mechanic, but can't afford to bring my outboard to a mechanic.

Yamaha built mariner very good motor parts are expensive. depending on the year the shift linkage connector is under the big plug or out in the open and needs to be disconnected then you can drop the lower for the water pump. you also put this in the evinrude/johnson section should be in mercury section any mercury dealer can help you with parts motor year is probably mid 70s to early 80s

Yamaha built mariner very good motor parts are expensive. depending on the year the shift linkage connector is under the big plug or out in the open and needs to be disconnected then you can drop the lower for the water pump. you also put this in the evinrude/johnson section should be in mercury section any mercury dealer can help you with parts motor year is probably mid 70s to early 80s

Any idea as to year model?

I have tried to contact a few of them but they don't seem to want to tell me what year it is, they want me to bring it in so they can do the repairs, I told them I prefer doing them myself and was asked why I was bothering them then, if I could fix it I should be able to tell the year of it.

Go to mercury marine themselves and ask I had the same motor even mercury could only narrow it down to a 3 yr window. And its also mercury motor you don't need the year just the serial number. All mercurys go by serial# here is mercurys number Phone: 920-929-5040. I just found it on this website go to the home page click on mariner and look up all mariner diagrams find your serial number. You may never find out what year it is exactly.

If you still can't find it call the dealer give them the serial number and tell them you need the water pump for it. they should not need anymore information than that. If they cant't find it find a more competent dealer

Your outboard is a 1985 model year. Removing the gearcase to access the waterpump is easy- disconnect the shift rod, remove the trim tab and the 4 retaining nuts, and drop the gearcase. Rather than just replacing the impeller, you probably should buy the waterpump kit, which includes pump housing, gaskets, retainers, wear plate, and impeller. The kit is available right here at marineengine.com, part# 18-3460.

Back