Logo

Mechanical Fuel pump rebuild

JCosta

Hello,

Looking for some instruction and advice. I have a 1982 Carver with twin Crusader 220's. I'm having an issue with the port side engine. Port engine starts up and runs smooth at idle with no smoke but as soon as I throttle up the engine dies. I replaces all fuel lines and filters on both engines, canister and carb. After running both engines at idle I pulled the canister from the starboard engine and it was full of clean fuel, no sediment. I pulled the canister filter from the port engine and it was only half full but no sediment. I have two 92 gal tanks and get the same results when I run from either tank.

I'm wondering if I could have a problem with the port side mechanical fuel pump. Can it be rebuilt or does it have to be replaced. Has anyone done it?

Some history... I bought the boat in December (2014) and was told that both engines had been rebuilt by the previous owner and only had 230 hrs on the rebuilds as indicated by the hour meter. The starboard engine looks like it has a new fuel pump... newly painted but the port looks different... dirty for lack of a better word. One more bit of information... the boat has been on the hard for 2 years.

John

missnancy... Thanks for the reply, I would definitely go with marine pump. I'm wondering if it was worth it to just rebuild maybe keep as a spare pump.

it would be worth it, assuming it was rebuildable, but the issue is finding a rebuild kit....they disappeared when the lawyers started going whacky with liability suits.....

Once you identify the pump, you may be able to find a kit.
If you can find a kit, these are fairly simple to install.

However, there's another hurdle to jump, and that is corrosion.
If you cannot remove the screws, you may as well toss it, and replace it with new.

I'll be pulling the pump this weekend so I'll have a better idea what I'm dealing with. Hope I can find a kit!

Good point Jeff... New fuel pump is on order and should be in on Monday. For a common pump I sure had a hard time finding one locally in stock. I was also unable to locate a rebuild kit, I had hoped to keep it as a spare but I guess not.

When I pulled the old pump I found the diaphragms to be dry with a little rusty looking crud in the bowl. They had been sitting for a couple years so I guess its was about time.

Last edited:
New pump was installed last week and working great. It was fun getting the push rod to stay up while I installed the pump but I got it.

I discovered another issue on the carb, it looks like someone tweaked the choke pulloff linkage because it was bent out of shape. I managed to get it back into shape by matching the starboard side. Running much better now but not perfect. I need to check the timing and adjust on both engines now. I don't have a clue on specs or how to do it so I'll start another thread.

Thanks for all the advise!

Back