Logo

DT 140 High RPM Failure

Mike S.

My '88 Suzuki DT 140 has been a super OB for the last 20 years that I owned the boat. My frist real problem is likelly my own fault. Last year due to prior commitments, I could not take the boat from storage. When I do my storage it is the usual chg the lower unit oil, stabilize the fual, run and fog the motor, drain the carbs bowls, and when I start up next spring, put in new plugs. For year this worked great. Only other work was to chg the impeller every 4 years.
This year when I took it out, I fired up the motor and ran it on the muffs for 20 minutes. All seeemed OK. The next week I lauched and the same story, started and been by cruze ok, running at mid rane RMP's. I continued to increase RPM until 3/4 trottle, which ran for 2 minutes before losing power, but not dying. I played with for a bit inclding changing plugs, but could not corrrect it. Ended up limping back to the dock at low RPM's.

Back in the driveway, I drained and changed the fouled fuel (ugly) and put in new gas. I took 2 cans of Johnson/Evinrude tune up in a can defouler and ran it thru the motor per the instuctions. I have used this before and its a good product for 2 strokes. After this I ran a little carb cleaner in it for good measure.

Took the boat to the launch yesterday and gave a try. Started up an seemed to run strong right up to 3500 RPM's . Ran at this speed for a couple of mlles and then moved up to 4100. Here it ran for 30 seconds and then powered down to low throttle. Thinking it was electrical, I turned off the key an restarted. Same story, second time. Went back to running 3500 RPM's and ran OK . Tried higher RPM's a few times with the same failure mode. Went down to idle and motor started dying, and getting hard to start. Figured I push my luck enough, and limped in. All in all burned about 15 gallons of fuel, and by memory, its seemed to go faster then normal, but this could be just a mistake on my behalf.

Geting ready to take it to a Suzuki dealer, who is about 2 hours away, and just thought it would be good to get some advice.

All comments appreciated,

Mike

Back