Logo

Mystery Chrysler 360 Reverse Rotation Firing Order

I'm looking for help to solve a mystery firing order on my 1977 Chrysler 360. I found my starboard engine (reverse rotation) has a firing order of 1-4-8-3-2-7-5-6.
I have looked high and low and can not find this firing order anywhere.
This is how I determined the order.
Looking at the front of the engine(water pump, alternator side), first cylinder on right is #1, across is #2 and so on.
I traced #1 spark plug wire to the distributor cap, then clock wise around traced the plug wires.
I did this 3 times, I am sure that it is correct. The motor does run and it sounds ok.
Question # 1, Could this be the correct order?
#2, Is there a way to prove which cylinder follows #1? Then prove every cylinder?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Captain Peter

.."firing order of 1-4-8-3-2-7-5-6."

Wrong! It's 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.

Number one cylinder is on the opposite end of the motor from the distributor and on the LEFT (when your are looking at it from the distributor end).

Jeff

PS: IF this is a reverse rotation engine (you didn't say) then the fring order is 1 2 7 5 6 3 4 8

Thanks for the reply Jeff, it is a reverse rotation, I put it in quotations in the post.
I am looking at the front of the motor, not the distributor side.

Have you ever heard of this firing order?

Couple of things first:

#1 cylinder will always be the furthest cylinder forward.... whether V engine or in-line engine.

Engine rotation is always determined as though viewing from the flywheel end. If the flywheel rotates CCW (when viewed from the rear), it would be a Std LH Rotation engine.... and if CW, it would be a Reverse RH Rotation engine.

Most reversed engines do not reverse the oil pump rotation, therefor the ignition distributor remains standard rotation (gear cut changes). This means that the firing order still follows the normal indexing/rotation beginning with #1 cylinder.

When a Standard LH Rotation engine is turned into a Reverse RH Rotation engine, we do not use a specially built crankshaft.
We simply use what's available, and reverse the wrist pin offset, the valve timing (i.e., the camshaft), and the ignition timing.

Oil pump direction remains the same on the V engines, therefor the ignition distributor rotation remains standard.

Since the crankshaft is the same, the ignition system firing order must be reversed to accommodate the oposite rotation crankshaft and related piston operation.

So... in other words.... if the standard LH rotation engine firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2... we simply reverse this beginning from #1 cylinder.

NOTE: #1 cylinder still remains the start point for all timing.... be it valve timing or spark ignition timing.

So the standard 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 firing order now becomes 1 2 7 5 6 3 4 8.

Last edited:
RicardoMarine, thank you for the great info. I will be replacing my distributor next week and will set #1 to TDC and wire the firing order to 1 2 7 5 6 3 4 8.
I'll let you know how it runs.
Thanks again

CaptainPeter

You are welcome Peter.
I just hope that I'm correct on that.
Since the Chrysler guys haven't chimed in to make a correction.... I'm fairly certain that we're OK. :D

Looking forward to report on running status better or the same

Update, I've replaced my distributor, thanks to the guys at, "Lighthouse Marine" in Riverhead NY. I drove an hour to their store just to be able to talk to someone with some knowledge about the parts they sell. I'm so glad I did, they explained to me about the ingnition system I have, let me know all the new parts I needed with my new distributor. With my new distributor I had to replace the double ballast resistor with a single, and remove the old ingnition module. Then run a new wire from the other side of the resistor to the positive of the new coil.
With everything connected, I corrected the firing order as per Ricardo's info, tried to start her and would not start. She turned over, but not even a sputter. I moved the timing in one direction and tried again, nothing. I moved the timing in the other direction and she fired up the split second I turned the key, I nearly fell out off the helm seat!!

Many thanks to Patrick Welch from "Lighthouse Marine Supply", and all the great info on this sight....

I just need someone to tell me why my tac doesn't work anymore?????

Captain Peter

Click the "insert image" icon in the toolbar.
An "Insert Image" window opens.
Click on "From Computer" or "From URL" as desired.
If using "From Computer" click "Select File"
Navigate to your image, double click on it. Should show up in the window.
Click on "upload file" and it should load in the thread.

"From URL" copy the link in the white text box and click "OK"

I will try it again.

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 227
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 153
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Port Engine After.jpg
    Port Engine After.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Port Engine Before.jpg
    Port Engine Before.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Starboard Engine After.jpg
    Starboard Engine After.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 119
I'm new here, so may not be posting correctly. CaptainPeter, if your engines are total freshwater, I would like to get your schematic for the freshwater side. I have been looking for a system for along time to put on my 360's. If you would email me at [email protected] I would appreciate it greatly. Bill Nelson

Note: The ignition module does NOT run on 12 volts! It has to receive reduced voltage, as does the coil, from the other side of the ballast resistor. (Guess how I learned that!)

Jeff

The freshwater is the upper left loop. This is for a single pocket pump. If yours is dual pocket let me know and I'll post it.

Attachments

• Our cooling 2 system.jpg
    Our cooling 2 system.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 124
Back