Logo

Newbie with BF200 in remote Alaska - Scheduled maintenance

Nevada Mike

I have done some searching and will do more. Thanks to all of you that have posted great information. I have a BF200 with about 400 hours on it. The only problem I have ever had was a sputtering engine for about 30 seconds until throttle reached the mid point. It only did that once with no alarms or lights. Any thoughts? I was a little nervous because I was over an hour from the dock. So far my maintenance has been limited to Oil changes and changing the Racor each season. I will be going back up to the cabin in November and getting after all maintenance items that I can complete. I did not have time to do any maintenance this year when I put it away other than a flush with salt away. Sadly I can not practically get it to a regular Honda shop or I would. Would someone mind listing items they would consider at the 400 hour mark. I am considering the following list.

Oil and filter
Lower unit oil
High and low pressure filters along with the Racor
T stats
Impeller ( should I get the large kit or just the impeller?)

Thanks for any comments or suggestions on my list. I freely admit I have more searching to do here. I just found this forum today.

That's a good start.

If operating in saltwater or mud/sand conditions, I suggest getting the entire water pump. Sputtering throttle could have been a variety of things, but the chief culprit on these engines is often the high pressure filter.

First of all I would invest in the official Helm Shop manual. It's available on eBay for about $116. Chapter 3 has detailed instructions and specifications on every routine maintenance item. I use that as a guide every time I pull my boat for maintenance.

If not that, at least download the free owners manual from the Honda Marine website.

Other items (from memory):
- New plugs - NGK IZFR6F11 ONLY. (BTW - lightly grease plug threads when you re-install new plugs and pull those plugs every season and re-grease the threads. They tend to get stuck in the block if left too long.)
- Drain the VST
- Check throttle cables for correct settings and grease all cable ends and rollers.
- Pull t-stats and clean as necessary. Also clean inside where t-stats are seated. Use new O rings.
- Pull prop. Check for any fishing line or other debris. Grease splines.
- Check all valve clearances.
- Check timing belt - manual has tension specs.
- Check alternator belt. Manual has tension specs.
- Check/replace all three external anodes, especially the big one under the engine mount.
- Check tilt/trim hydraulic reservoir and top off.
- Check steering hub hydraulic fluid reservoir and top off.
- Check idle. It should be 650 rpm +/-25.
- Lightly grease shifter and throttle at the console.

chawk

Thanks for the outstanding reply. I will get the manual ASAP and start watching Youtube videos on each of the topics listed. I really appreciate the effort in answering my post.

I wouldn't trust the U-tube videos to be correct. There is no vetting their accuracy and I've seen too many that were completely wrong or left out a critical step. Rely on the Helm manual. Then, if you don't completely understand their procedure, look at a relevant video and see how it's done and be very conscience of any variation from the shop manual.

Back