Logo

1977 Johnson V4 85 HP (85EL77S) - Shift Rod Measurement

czar97

I am so sorry if this has been posted, I've searched for quite awhile with no results.
Need the measurement from lower unit mating surface (top edge of lower unit aluminum casing) to center of shift shaft hole. (Thinking 21-13/32")??
Thank you again,
Matt

If it is the rod with the wee adapter then you screw it on all the way and back it off 2 turns to line it up.----Off set forward.

Thanks for the offset help (I was going to ask that when I realized I forgot).
As for the "wee adaptor"...? You threw me for a loop on that one.

Because I'm using a replacement lower unit that appears to be identical to the one I pulled from the engine; I'd be more comfortable with an actual measurement to follow. Is there really not a measurement? Just the "back it off 2 turns as noted by racerone above?

That is information from a 76 factory manual.----Same lower unit on 77 models.------Your replacement lower unit has the wee screw on adapter yes ??

Last edited:
"Wee screw". If this is a cylinder shapped piece of metal with a hole drilled off center and threaded that screws on the top of the shift rod that has an offset ear on it with a hole in it...then yes....I have the wee screw. It's what the shift linkage lever attaches to. (It's part number 0318211)
If it's not really an exact measurement like all the other adjustments seem to be...they must just be relying on the screw wheel for the adjustment.

Back