Logo

Default My homemade swimming platform

I was looking to buy a swimming platform for the back of my Chapparal to make putting my wakeboard on easier as a freind of mine had fallen off her last time we were out. I didnt want to have a normal platform that stuck out from the back of the boat an additional 2 foot cause the marina would charge me extra to moor her. So i decided to extend the seat of the boat by 10" which would give me a nice area totalling about 2 foot but only actually extend the length of the boat by 10".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1aa.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	11856
    Because i own a company that make wooden and wrought iron gates we have loads of Iroko timber off cuts, iroko is a type of Japanese teak so thought this would be perfect for the board.

1st: I got a large piece of cardboard and made a template of the back of the boat where the board will sit ( i allowed it to be about 10mm narrower as i did not want it to rub against the sides)
    2: i cut 2 x lengths of 4" x 1" iroko the width of my template and then cut the tongue and groove cladding at 650mm enough to cvover the width
    3 On a large bench ( i used a bench with a top made from 8ft x 4ft ply) tack the first cladding board down to the bench to hold it in place, then i pushed all the cladding up against it to make a solid board. Because all the cladding is the same size and i used the corner of the bench to start off from it kept the cladding all quite square.
    4 I then placed the 2 bits of 4" x 1" over the cladding which had poly urathane glue on ( one being about 4" from the front the other being where i wanted to fix it to my seat) I used 30mm stainless steel screws to secure it in place.
    5 Because i didnt want the seat to rock on the boat i put some smaller bearers either side of the 4" x 1"

Name:	4a.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	11857
    6 i then cut the board with a jigsaw to the shape i wanted. I left the front piece straight for a new ladder to fit and put a bit of a curve shape on the rest (just to make it look better)
    7 The board was then routered and sanded down before applying 3 coats of Osmo oil on.

Name:	1b.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	11858
    8 Because i was going to fit an anti slip mat to the board i didnt want to oil all of the front as i wanted to get a good fixing with the glue. (you can see a flash of oil through the middle as i was wanted to have the anti slip mat down in two sections)
    9 Now i had to fix it to the boat. This was quite easy and i used 4 x 100mm stainless steel bolts with penny washed. I drilled 4 x pilot holes through my board and then held it in place on the boat to mark the 4 holes on the boat. I took the board off then carefully drilled the holes through the seat of the boat.
    10 Next bit took 2 people! I wanted the bolts to go through the boat and then through a piece of timber to act like a big clamp and spread the weight over the boat as not to pull through. I used a mate of mine who climbed into the back of the boat and held a piece of timber in place as i drilled through the 4 holes.
    11 I then filled the holes with Sikaflex to create a good seal and we continued to bolt the board into place.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	11859Note we hade counter sunk the timber to allow the penny washed and the nut to be be flush with the top of the board
    12 Once fitted i filled up the 4 holes with sikaflex to add extra protection and cleaned it all off.

Views:	87 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	11860

13 Once fitted this felt extremely secure on the boat even when i put weight on the overhang part of the board but for extra peace of mind i fitted 2 x 90 degree brackets from the transom to the board under neath. I dont actually think it is necessary but i wanted to be on the safe side
    14 I bought some anti slip mat and placed it on the board roughly cut to size then used a 40mm L bracket to follow the shape of the board and mark it on the mat.
    15 It was then cut with a sharp stanley knife and stuck to the board.
    16 Once dry i bolted the new foldable ladder on
    Now its ready to use, total cost was 98 for the anti slip mat and 60 for the ladder (the rest i had lying around but i wouldnt imagine the timber costing anymore than 100)

Views:	151 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	11861

Default Re: My homemade swimming platform

Nice job! I did something similar to a boat with an outboard that I converted into a wakeboarding boat, also turned out great.

Default Re: My homemade swimming platform

Brilliant idea!! and thanks for sharing the step-by-step and pictures