Logo

chrysler 318 cant get starter to fully engage flywheel

nowaksark

I have a houseboat with twin 318s. The port motor , std rotation, cant get starter to fully engage. Had bendix replaced by reputable shop. Took back to them and they bench tested and starter shows good. Good battery, tried both batteries at same time and starter will only engage 3/4 of the way to flywheel and locks it self out. Pull starter and get gear to reset itself with wire wheel. Good cables and connections. Any ideas?

Sounds as though it's too tight engaging on the flywheel ring gear. Make sure no burrs are on either mating face when bolting up.
Do your starter bolt holes allow for any outward motion? (swivel the starter away from the flywheel)

Sounds as though it's too tight engaging on the flywheel ring gear. Make sure no burrs are on either mating face when bolting up.
Do your starter bolt holes allow for any outward motion? (swivel the starter away from the flywheel)

Dave, Thanks for the help.The starter drive is not making it to the flywheel. I pulled off the inspection cover and I can see the gear and its about a 1/16" fro the ringgear. Teeth are good. It just wont make it to the gear

Sorry, guess I need to learn how to read.
So it lacks a half inch of travel when on the engine?

Can you manually move it the necessary distance off the engine freely, it's not hanging up anywhere?

If you jump the solenoid does it travel fully?

Can you manually move it the necessary distance off the engine freely, it's not hanging up anywhere?

I put power directly to the starter and drive will move the same distance and locks it self out. I'm wondering if the Bendix will only move out that far. I'm going to try a known good working starter tomorrow night when I go to the boat. Thanks for the help

Dave, I believe that his starter motor is one of the old Bendix Drive units.
(see quote below)
The Bendix units rely on quick armature torque to push the pinion gear out and into the ring gear.
So in essence, there would be no solenoid lever action against his pinion gear.

............ starter will only engage 3/4 of the way to flywheel and locks it self out. Pull starter and get gear to reset itself with wire wheel.

If he's re-setting the sprague clutch drive gear with a wire wheel, it is indeed an old Bendix unit.

nowaksark, do yourself a favor, and put that old Bendix Drive starter motor in the recycle bin, and replace it with one of today's HTGR/PMGR starter motors.

Rick, It is the old original heavy bendix starter. Never had a problem before. Do the new htgr starters bolt right up? Any changes have to be made? Who makes a good one to use? Maybe time to turn this one in to an anchor for my fishing boat!

After trying another starter and same thing,found the ringer has backed off the flywheel by 3/16". Looks like I'll have to pull tabby back to pull flywheel. Never saw that happen before

Rick, It is the old original heavy bendix starter. Never had a problem before. Do the new htgr starters bolt right up? Any changes have to be made? Who makes a good one to use? Maybe time to turn this one in to an anchor for my fishing boat!

While the old original Bendix Drive starter motor is heavy and looks tougher than nails...... the technology is completely outdated by now.
All of the torque is generated at/by the large diameter armature and housing.
The pinion gear (which is a Bendix component) is thrown out by quick armature torque against the steep spiral shaft splines.
A low battery situation will usually not allow the armature enough quick action to throw this gear out into the ring gear.
These are also AMP hungry!

Yes... if you find a direct replacement for your engine, the HTGR unit will bolt right up.

FYI.... the Chrysler car company began using a gear reduction starter motor in the 50s.
They were ahead of the times.

BTW... if you tack weld the ring gear to the flywheel, heat the two up a bit first, and make sure that you select the correct material for the tack weld.

Try to make these multiple tacks and at a somewhat equal separation angle.... perhaps every 45 degrees or so.

Last edited:
Here is a link to another forum. The same problem.
The ring gear is installed from the front of the flywheel and rests against a flange. A starter mounted in the normal automobile fashion will have its' drive engaging towards the flange. On marine applications the starter drive engagement tends to pound the ring gear away from the flange causing the gap. Removal of the flywheel to reseat ring gear is required and some careful welding performed.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=4696

Thanks for that thread. Thats the exact gap I have. Waiting for mechanic to pull tranny back and tack ringgear to fly wheel. Never thought of trying the c clamp to try to move it back into place!

Back