Logo

Tiller Shift to Side Shift Conversion, 2002 25 EH

hoghockey

I am looking to convert my tiller shift model to a side shift (not remote control). I see the conversion kit (http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/merc/M-821190A 2.html) but was wondering if I need to do anything inside the tiller handle also? Or can the gates for Neutral and Reverse stay the same and unused, and just use the forward function on the tiller as throttle for all 3 positions of the side shift? Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks for the help.

shouldn't have to do anything on the tiller instructions should come with the kit. Just wondering why you want to change it the tiller shift is one of my favorite things on the mercury

I would like to be able to give throttle without taking the cowl off on cold starts. Boat will be run in below freezing temps and already has some trouble with cold starts since buying at the beginning of the month. My fast idle knob is not in perfect shape(all there just slop in the linkages) so it only advances timing, not throttle. Quickest way to get it started is just feed it a bit of throttle and bypass the fast idle knob.

This one is pretty much dedicated to duck hunting as well. Thanks for the help though, I couldn't see instructions anywhere in the kit online but i hope it does come with it... Does not look too complicated anyways.

The Mariner 25 hp motors used the side shift, which is a far better arrangement (in my opinion). The only to idle the Merc 25 up is to pull the fool hood off and open the carb yourself--dumb!

Question: How about attaching a wire to the throttle butterfly the extends through the lower cowling? You could pull on the wire and give her some gas.

Jeff

That's good thinking right there fastjeff. Thanks for the thought, I may run with that. Got her to cold start perfectly yesterday with the knob and all the linkages optimized out completely without changing factory settings but who knows how long that will last. I agree, the tiller shift is better in theory, but theory doesn't mean anything when it comes to 4 AM in the duck woods with 20 trucks waiting for you to get out of the way!

Back