Logo

Are Honda outboards suppose to ride low in the water

Rewinder

Did a lot of research before tackling this project. Only have one question left and that is transom height. I have a 2015 BF20 Honda outboard elec/start and tilt that measures 22.5" from the A/V plate to the top of the motor mount bracket. The stock transom plate only measured 20" on the 13' Smoker Craft Alaskan. When I build/cut the new wood plate for the transom would it be a good idea to raise it up the extra 2.5", then cut it down lower after I find out where the correct height for the A/V plate rides best in the water. This seems like a lot of extra work, but I don't see any way around it. With the stock 20" transom the A/V plate would set 2.5" lower then the bottom of the boat and raising the motor up 2" would necessitate that I drill holes in the transom to bolt the motor on, for the clamps would be to high to exert any clamping pressure on the transom. Are Honda's suppose to ride low in the water. Going to build it 2.5" high ,but the question irritates me. Randy

Okay, thanks for concurring with my thoughts. Now to cap the higher transom center cut. The wood will stick out 2.5" higher then the aluminum sheet that encapsulated the wood in the center section. What kind of Aluminum channel should I use to cap it off with. There is so many different numbers and hardnesses. The curves on the top are are on a 6" radius and the width is 1.75 thick. I'm going to sheet the outside down to 14" and inside 6" to cover the wood and seal with 3M 4200. Should I get the softest and slowly roll/bend into place and tack it down as I go and will I have to anneal the metal. Of course this is after I finally finish the A/V plate to bottom of boat fitting. Thanks, Randy

Last edited:
Back