Logo

Yamaha 4stroke 00-01mod 50hp RPM error

Eirikh

Hello.

I have just bought a "new" used enigine for my boat, as topic says its a yamaha 50Hp 4stroke 2000-2001(year model) .

i just tried it for the first time today after installing it on my boat, and im totaly new at boats and boats engines, but the rpm at idle was around 1800, aint that way too high?
also, when i finaly was going out of the harbour whit my boat the lowest speed was way too high, had a realy hard time trying too drive it between all the other boats there. when i finaly managed too get it out too the sea i startet giving it more power, and it sounded great and work perfectly. cruising speed around 4000rpms and maxed out i did around 5700rpms. but then i was going back too the harbour and again the speed was way too high, and when i put the throttle back in neutral the engien reved up by itself, way up too. i stopped the eningen when it hit 3500rpms when throttle was in idel(gass handel was in neutral) anyone have any idea what it can be? also a lot of smoke came out of the exhaust, it almost seemed like the choke was kicking in and giving the enigien too much gas?

all tips would be gratefully epriciated:)

and sorry for my bad english, im norwegian, so writing from the cold north:)

cheers.

What is the model for your outboard? carbs or EFI. When you first install the motor you have to check and adjust the throttle cable. Remove the throttle cable linkage at the motor and start it up and set your idle RPM. Once that's done adjust the throttle cable accordingly. Next is you have to locate the electric choke wire at the key switch. You might have connect the wrong wire to the electric joke wire. You are definitely running rich.

its a carb model, 4 carbs. 2 have been changed last year, but the other 2 dident need chaning acording too the service shop.

i think maybe theres something whit the throttle cabel, because it has been another engien on this boat before, a 25hk mercury. and i just mounted a 50 yamaha, and i did not adjust the throttle cabel.....

since the boat and anything is totaly new too me, how do i find out about the choke? if it is automatic choke, or manuel?

i read somewhere that idle RPM on this engien should be around 800?
and iv been told not too drive whit the boat untill thats fixed because i can brake the gearing when i put it in gear on that high rpm?

so it turns out that its the electrick thermal valve thats messing Things up.....

it dosent move, its Automatic choke on this and as i said it dosent move at all....

Guys, can anyone tell me where the Choke Solenoid is supose too get electricity from?
i followed the wiriing and found that it got it from the starter relay. is that correct? because it only gets electricity a short while, while im using the starter too start the engien, shouldnt it get power all the time?

Back