Logo

Power issues

ddaniot

Hello...

I have a 1997 Wellcraft 3200 Martinique with twin 5.7 Mercruiser inboards, 648 hours. Freshwater Great Lakes boat.

The last two extended trips out on the lake (on shorter rides, no issues at all), the port engine wants to power down after about 1 hour of cruising on plane at 3300RPM. Up until this point, all gauges are fine and all is well. At this time, it runs fine at 2500RPM or less, but will not power back up enough to get back up on plane, leaving me a two hour ride back at 8knts. The starboard engine has no issues at all.

The following day, all runs fine again.

I have had both ignition control modules, carbs, impellers, and raw water pumps replaced in the last three years.

Every time my mechanic looks at it, it is fine because you have to run it at least an hour for the problem to present itself, and he can find nothing wrong. I really don't want to pay an hourly mechanic rate for a three hour sea trial if I can avoid it.

I am hoping someone else has had a similar problem and can provide some insight on where to look.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Try (temporarily) running with the gas cap off when that happens; if that cures it, the vent is plugged. Dammed spiders did that to mine several times.

Jeff

Back