Logo

Risers, Elbows, Gaskets, Studs - recommended sealants, threadlockers, torque?

vikingtime

Contributing Member
It's been 6 seasons so I pulled the risers and elbows last night.

I'm looking for best practice info on the replacement process:

What Permatex should I paint the gaskets with? Ultra copper? Ultra Black? #3?

What should be applied to the blind side (manifold side) of the riser stud? Locktite?

What should be applied to the outside threads of the riser studs?

Recommended torque manifold to riser ? 25lbs?

Recommended torque riser to elbow?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Use a LIGHT film of silicone on both sides of the gaskets. Do NOT use Lock Tite and toss that torque wrench overboard. Tighten each bolt until it 'feels' right, then add a flat or two. (Hex bolts have 6 flats.) And after it's up to temperature, go over every bolt and retighten. They'll need it!

Jeff

Jeff has it spot on but I will add one more thing to the list. I use thread sealant with PTFE on the riser studs going into the manifolds.

Jeff has it spot on but I will add one more thing to the list. I use thread sealant with PTFE on the riser studs going into the manifolds.

Jeff, Craig, thanks very much for the info.

So aside from the riser studs into the manifolds (blind side) using the thread sealant with PTFE, I shouldn't use anything on the other side of those studs or on the elbow bolts? I could have sworn I used something last time.

Thanks

Jeff, Craig, thanks very much for the info.

So aside from the riser studs into the manifolds (blind side) using the thread sealant with PTFE, I shouldn't use anything on the other side of those studs or on the elbow bolts? I could have sworn I used something last time.

Thanks

I did not use anything on the elbow bolts but did put the thread sealant on the ends of the studs that came through the risers that used the copper washers and nuts.

I've found permatex #3 works just fine (same a quicksilver perfect seal).....and I'm very fond of my torque wrenches....and 25 # * ft is correct....finally, make sure you wait for the engine to cool down before the re-torque is done.

I'm back to changing out the risers and elbows. I had a really tough time getting the old risers to slide off - used a sledge hammer and every single millimeter was a battle. Once off, I was able to easily remove all the studs.

Does everyone still agree that putting thread sealant with PTFE on the blind side of the riser studs is the right move? I'm wondering if that thread sealant is what created the challenge of sliding off the risers.

Thanks MakoMark. Another question - for the the bronze water inlets that screw into the risers and spacer - what do you recommend putting on the threads? Is Perfect Seal ok or should I use something else?

Thanks again

QuickSiver's "Perfect Seal" is a great product.

Note that some exhaust manifold, spacer/riser and/or elbow gaskets call for no sealant at all!
In other words, let your gaskets determine whether or not they require sealant.

Other than the Ultra Grey high performance RTV, I do not use any silicone products in these areas.

I use a dab of Permatex anti seize on the elbow to manifold bolts and on the manifold to block bolts. Lock washer with the elbow bolts. Flat washer and lock washer with the manifold to block bolts. Torqued to 30lbs. I too like the torque wrench. I'm 100% seawater cooled

I used a rag with either acetone or lacquer thinner to remove the paint on the machined surfaces. I was wearing rubber gloves at the time. I found out that if you rest the casting on your lap while removing the paint, you'll have a permanent swatch of Crusader Blue on your pants.

1) Took a lot of torque to got the studs out with large vise grips. Someone Told me to use a tap and cleanup threads on manifold. Good idea?

2) Local hardware place has thread sealer but not with PTFE. Does make big difference?

3) how do we torque the blind side of stud before we install the plate, gasket, riser? I think I have in past always... a) install studs add two nuts tight on each other and then snug with wrench. b) add gasket plate gasket c) install riser and torque copper washer with nut.

just making sure I am handling the blindside correctly

i prefer a thread chaser vs a tap to clean out the threads....

I prefer PST, if you just want to keep the threads sealed up, the PTFE shouldn't be essential..

i usually put the studs in with blue locktite...keeps the crud out...and the studs from moving...

usually worth the effort to re-torque the fasteners after a cold-hot-cold cycle...

Back