Logo

OMC 3litre runs for an hour then cuts out

Glenscave

3litre 4cyl starts and runs perfectly for about an hour then starts to miss and finally stops. Will start and runs perfectly again after about 20 minutes. Not gas vent, did same with temporary tank. Have changed distributor, coil, condensor, coil and fuel pump. Temp is constant around 140, voltage always around 14v. Carb taken apart, looks great. Help, have run out of ideas.

I'd be buying a new carb.
You can't tell just by looking at it. You cannot get it cleaned out properly at home by yourself using a "rebuild" kit, you need a powerful ultrasonic parts cleaner that costs thousands of dollars.
The usual culprit in these mysteries is Mr Sitzaround. Engines must be run often or they get all kinds of messed up.

Did you ever get answer to your 3.0 4cyclinder running for an hr and ten having problems? I was at shore and mine did the same ran great all day. Drift fishing, drive back up a few times and then drifting. But on way back to dock after about 4mins of running back to dock, suddenly started to feel like I was running out of gas and eventually stalled. But would start up and idle fine until I would get back on the throttle. I cleaned points and plugs and got back to dock. But it again started to stall out on me. Once home changed points, distributor cap, rotor, condenser, and plugs. All looked good but changed anyways. Nervous about taking it back out on ocean. Any suggestions?

Back