Logo

Question about 318, is my engine standard rotation or reverse rotation ?

Rendered Safe

I have a single screw chrysler 318 in a 1979 silverton 26 flybridge.
The boat does have a v drive.
Can somebody please tell me if my engine is a standard rotation or a reverse rotation engine?
I just blew the engine and plan on putting a new one in myself with the help of a friend but am not sure which correct engine to purchase.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a diagram of the engine and firing order as it sits in my boat now.
Thank you for your time,
Eric

Eric, here are a few very simple tests:

1..... verify the firing order.
Standard Rotation firing order for the Chrysler 318 would be... 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 in a CW direction from #1.
Reverse RH Rotation firing order for this engine would be...... 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 in a CW direction from #1.

2.... engage the starter motor, and see which direction it wants to rotate the flywheel.

3.... look at the wear marks on the flywheel ring gear.

9317bc3.gif

Thank you Rick,
You have helped me discover that my engine is a reverse rotation.
The firing order is in fact 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 in a CW direction from #1.
The starter does force the flywheel in a clockwise turn looking directly at the fly wheel from the rear view of the engine.
Thank you for all of your help.

Now I will move onto the 360 swap that we discussed.

Ricardo you are a gentleman and a scholar, I will be sure to pay it forward.....
Eric

Here's the easy way to tell: Pull the distributor out. If it has a collar around it (to hold the oil pump gear down), it's a reverse rotator. If not (meaning it looks 'normal') it's a normal rotation engine.

Jeff

Attachments

• Reverse Rotation Distributor.JPG
    Reverse Rotation Distributor.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 189
Eric and I spoke on the phone yesterday.... he's a very nice man and he appreciates all of our help.

Eric, the collar that Jeff posted a picture of, is what I was refering to yesterday.

attachment.php

Back