Logo

Suzuki DT2 Piston Wont Go All The Way Into Cylinder

Chris Reisinger

A friend gave me a DT2 he was unable to get running after it conked out on him one day. I took it all apart to find that the lower (the slightly wider) piston ring was in about 3 pieces. I ordered new rings and installed them and the piston would not go all the way into the cylinder. I noticed the piston was scored up a bit, so I ordered a new piston and a second new set of rings and installed the new piston on the connecting rod. Same issue. Piston only wants to go about halfway down the cylinder before it's unable to go any further. I was able to tap the old piston through the cyl (with no rings on) but it was very tight.
Sounds like my cylinder is a little warped. What should I do? Can I hone the cylinder until the piston is able to slide up and down? -it feels like there is a very slight bump by the intake and exhaust ports inside the cylinder.
I have already spent almost as much on this motor as it'd be worth, running. I would prefer to avoid having to take it to a machine shop, if possible, as I am sure that's fairly expensive.
Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 11818View attachment 11819FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Also make sure the piston is going in the right way the ring gaps face a certain way you could be catching a ring in the port still need to hone it though

Hi,
I just ordered a hone. I will let you know how it goes.
I'd say its definitely a cylinder issue. The piston wouldn't even go through the cyl without any rings at all on- and it wasn't an abrupt stop- it just got tighter and tighter until it wouldn't go any further.

Well, I got a hone and smoothed out the cylinder to the point the piston would go through it without having to be really forced. I think pfpoenaar0 is right about the delaminating... I had to take off what seems like entirely too much material to get it to slide. I was able to get it to run for 30 seconds before breaking the aluminum key. It also sounded like the piston was slapping around in there (too much play.) I think I will just end up buying another cylinder/ crankcase and giving that a shot in a month or two when I'm done renovating my house.

Hi all,
I finally found a new crankcase for $50 that I think I am going to buy. It certainly looks like the right one for my motor, but I am having trouble figuring out the year of my motor so I can know for sure. The model and serial are: Suzuki DT2 0201 902914. I have looked at several keys and forum postings. I think it is a 1989, or possibly a 1990.
Any help would be appreciated.

You may find that your motor came out of one factory.----------It went to many different show rooms with different labels / brand names on it.------Do not limit your parts search to just Suzuki models.

Back