Logo

PCM 350 restart issue (surging?)

rwolf629

I have a 1998 supra comp with a PCM 350/5.7 with throttle body injection. Sometimes (and getting more frequent) after running just fine when I restart it will surge a bit then die. I usually have to put it in neutral and give is more throttle to cure it. Then it runs very well until the next time. It appears to smoke quite a bit when this happens so I am thinking is is flooded. Not sure but I think this problem happens more often if we kill it very soon after a hard run (ie water skiing) - if we let it idle down for a while it seems to be better.
any ideas please?

likely to be related to the heat soaking that it sounds like you are inducing....today's "fuels" are easily subjected to it in a boat with a closed engine compartment with high ambient temperatures....after a hard run, try letting it fast idle for 5 minutes before shutting it off...running the blower or opening the engine box can also help in some installations...

BTW, this impacts carb'd engnes, too...

likely to be related to the heat soaking that it sounds like you are inducing....today's "fuels" are easily subjected to it in a boat with a closed engine compartment with high ambient temperatures....after a hard run, try letting it fast idle for 5 minutes before shutting it off...running the blower or opening the engine box can also help in some installations...

BTW, this impacts carb'd engnes, too...

Thanks for responding. I am not sure that this is totally related to a hard run. We have had a few instances on the first start of the day. I built a MEFI DTC code reader and found that there are no stored codes. We are going to look at transient codes now that we have the reader. We now start in neutral so that we can quickly increase the RPM and clear out the engine. It then seems to run very well.

Back