Logo

I need help... Motor dies when in gear and throttle increased... omc 190

powerstruggle7

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this:

I've been 'reviving' a 1975 omc 190 that sat for nearly a decade. i've now got it running well, and took it for my first ride last night.

it starts right up, runs and revs normal, but once in gear, it can only manage little more than an idle...

i idled it around for over half an hour,trying several times to increase throttle and everytime i'm met with it bogging down and dying.

i have yet to replace the fuel filter or plug wires ( i'll probably do that tonight) it is a new carb (was run on another engine before this to tune it) so i currently fear thats where my problem lies...

any help or ideas would be appreciated. i'm new to boating, but typically wrench on vehicles, just nothing this old usually

:(

Check all the fuel supply system. If there's any ethanol fuel in there it probably degraded the hoses or did something to foul up your life.

Well I replaced the fuel filter, think I properly free'd up the ignition advance, and took it for a spin. No changes...

I'm beginning to think either the carb needs adjusted or maybe the alternator is bad? I dunno.... I would say timing, but nothing has changed since it was last run.

We idled around for probably 20 minutes, I tried to throttle it up and It wanted to take off, started rising up on plane (in no wake zone) so I headed for deeper water. Once out there I tried to throttle up and each time it just died on me...

so, we idled back toward the dock and it died on me.... fired right back up, then died again 5 ft from the dock and wouldn't start...

I went up got the truck, and just out of curiousity, I tried to start It, and it fired right up.....

ugh.....

I'm so close with this thing and still so confused.

I guess i'll get the alternator tested, just to see but could still use some advice...

Try a new carb

I should've said earlier but it has a new:

Carburetor
Fuel filter
Rotor
Rotor cap
Ignition coil
Battery

And I've checked the:
Fuel tank
Fuel pump

Maybe more...

The only thing I've really not replaced that I think should matter is the alternator.

I'm going to get it tested but I kinda would like to know what the symptoms are indicative of. At this point in fairly confident in saying it's not fuel related unless it's the air/fuel ratio.

no, it doesn't backfire through the carb when it dies, It just kind of gets weaker, not really like its running out of gas or starving for fuel,

its kind of like when youre running a motor and slowly (over a period of 2 minutes or so) apply the choke... itll run less smooth at first, eventually become erratic (cutting out) and eventually just die...

that's what makes me think maybe its running too rich and fuel is building up in the intake manifold or something, just because of the way it dies slowly and goes out with a whimper.

I will do a compression test, this motor only has 395 hours, I hope that's not the issue already lol.

also, sunday when I had it on the trailer, I fired it up... I know it would die with throttle under load, but I've always been able to rev it up as high as I want without load... but I've always eased on the throttle, so out of curiosity and perhaps anger, I slammed on the throttle n it hesitated before revving (in that situation) so....

easing on throttle, no load, it'll rev, under load or heavy unloaded throttle it bogs and dies.

Yes. Its not letting me upload pics from my phone.

I suppose that's something to try though, let it warm up and just disconnect the armiture on the choke just to see whatitdoes
No just take the flame arrestor off and see if the choke is actually opening up after a few minutes. You don't need to run the engine, just have the key in run or position 2. If no then you are probably going to have to repair the choke mechanism as it will not only make the engine run super rich it'll hinder operation.

No just take the flame arrestor off and see if the choke is actually opening up after a few minutes. You don't need to run the engine, just have the key in run or position 2. If no then you are probably going to have to repair the choke mechanism as it will not only make the engine run super rich it'll hinder operation.

i'll do this check, I do know it's opening, and have seen it open after having run it, but I was thinking perhaps it was closing or flapping shut for some reason or another

Last edited:
Okay time for an update, mostly for those who may be in asimilar situation and need advice…

We took it out, and the boat wouldn’t start…. So we started fromsquare one, checking the oil, points, spark, fuel etc…..

Ended up buying a marine ignition coil (I had initially put aautomotive one on) we re-gapped the spark plugs, reset the points, checkedeverything… etc…

She fired right up with the new coil.

Putted out to the river, and opened the throttle, expecting itto die… and it didn’t…

It came right up on plane and ran like a champ… we tooled aroundblasting past barges and pontoons for a solid half hour after making sure we weren’tgoing to overheat, etc…

Came to a stop, went to take off again twenty mins later, and itwas back to the same old crap…. Wouldn’t run any more than an idle….

Idled back to the dock, tinkered around, kind of went around theloop checking things again and even put on brand new plug wires just in case….

Started it up, it ran okay again, but had a slight miss….

Decided we clearly hadn’t figured out all the bugs, but triedfor one more lap up the river just to see if it cleared up, that was a mistakebecause five minutes later it shut down on me and didn’t even want to start,and when it did, it wouldn’t stay running…

After a check-in from fish and boat commission, we fought itback to the creek that takes you to the boat ramp and caught a tow back to thedock.

So.

Out of curiosity… we pumped some fuel from the tank into a clearwater bottle….

It looked like cloudy orange pop….

Ugh.

I thought I had completely drained the tank… clearly I hadn’t…not sure what I did wrong but I must have left several gallons of 3 year oldgas and water in there…

We pulled up the floor and drained the rest last night. Tonight were going to refill, treat it with HEET and go again.

I suppose that’s the lesson I’d pass on to any other newbies outthere…. Be sure…. Pull up the floor if you have to in order to get to yourtank. We were cocky, we weren’t verysafe , it could’ve ended badly… be sure your gas is good, do whatever it takesto drain the bad stuff out…

Ill update again once im sure this was the issue (pretty sure itis…)

Back