Logo

1983 Mercury 80 HP 4 cyl, 2 stroke SN#6393735 non cranking

Snakeriversailor77

Contributing Member
Hope someone can give me a direction to look that I haven't seen previously on this one. I am working on a Mercury 2 stroke 4 cyl 80 hp outboard. The complaint was that it was having trouble cranking over. The owner installed a new battery which now has 12.63 VDC and tests well under load. The engine does not turn over with the starter. The starter solenoid did nothing, no clicks no sound. The solenoid was replaced and now the solenoid makes a sizzle sound when the key switch is turned to the crank/start position. Testing the voltage at both the large cable direct from the battery positive to the post on the solenoid shows the same 12.63 voltage. Ditto on the voltage from the yellow red wire from the key switch to the terminal on the solenoid. Starter does not turn. Starter was replaced with new. Same sizzle noise. Engine turns over with the flywheel (not seized). Why wouldn't the solenoid activate? I have tried three of them so far, all new out of the box, all test good too. Tried remote starting and by passing the ignition switch but got no change and no sizzle noise either from the solenoid. Volts at the starter terminal is 12.62 VDC when energized but still no change. It still does not turn over. Help, gotta be something I'm overlooking.

Thanks guys- The motor turns over freely by the flywheel which I indicated in the original post. The engine is not seized. The old starter was suspect early on and since a new one was available, a new one was purchased and installed. Same "sizzle" noise when key turned to start and not just on.

Fascinating! It's gotta be a bad connection somewhere. Have you checked out all the grounds? There's a bunch of them since the cowling (on some) is rubber mounted.

Jeff

PS: Try jumping the starter directly with the ground cable right on the case.

Back