Logo

235 HP OMC Ford 351 Dumping Cooling Water to Bilge

cdcollins1

Hello.

So here’s the scenario:

1976 IMP Aztec with an OMC 235 HP (Ford 351) and OMC outdrive.

This boat belongs to a widow friend of mine and I’m not that familiar with all the systems. I do have the outdrive service manual, but don’t relish the thought of working on any part of the outdrive with the boat on the lift at the dock. (no trailer or other means of pulling the boat to dry land)

The boat had been winterized last fall by disconnecting all the cooling hoses from the water pump, thermostat neck, heat exchangers and the water was blown out of the passages. The boat is kept on a lift out of the water.

Last weekend, I reconnected all the water hoses, checked the oil, etc. dropped the boat in the water and fired it up. Ran great, all looked good, checked that the transmission engaged in forward/reverse and then lifted it back out of the water.

The next day we decided to take it out for a short run and about half mile from the dock, the motor bogged down and died. Pulling the engine cover and found the bilge compartment under the motor full of water. Determined that we weren’t taking on water through the hull. I ran the bilge pump to remove the water (which was hot and appeared to be cooling water from the open cooling system) and got the motor to start to head back to the dock. Again the bilge filled with water, drowning out the motor with the spray of water off the crankshaft pulley.

Of course now, the bilge pump decided to die, running like crazy, but not pumping (I’ve got the rebuild kit with diaphragm/check valves in hand for next time I go down) So we’re 300 yard from the dock, flagged down a guy on a PWC to tow us back to the dock and we lifted it back out of the water, using a small pump to remove the hot water from the bilge. Didn’t have a chance to do much more than that as we had to get back to the city.

So here’s what I’m thinking… Somewhere in the cooling system, I’ve got a split hose or fitting that is dumping the cooling water out into the bilge after it’s gone through the block/heat exchanger instead of sending it out through the outdrive.

If not that, what are the chances that it blew out a core plug (freeze plug)? If so, is that something that can be replaced without pulling the motor?

I’m going back down in a couple weeks and will rebuild the bilge pump, then drop the boat down in the water and see if I can locate where the water is coming in.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

No thoughts?

I'm taking a set of brass freeze plugs down with me when I go. Hopefully if that's the problem, I can get it replaced without too much trouble.

Thanks,

Doug

Hello.

So here’s the scenario:

1976 IMP Aztec with an OMC 235 HP (Ford 351) and OMC outdrive.

This boat belongs to a widow friend of mine and I’m not that familiar with all the systems. I do have the outdrive service manual, but don’t relish the thought of working on any part of the outdrive with the boat on the lift at the dock. (no trailer or other means of pulling the boat to dry land)

The boat had been winterized last fall by disconnecting all the cooling hoses from the water pump, thermostat neck, heat exchangers and the water was blown out of the passages. The boat is kept on a lift out of the water.

Last weekend, I reconnected all the water hoses, checked the oil, etc. dropped the boat in the water and fired it up. Ran great, all looked good, checked that the transmission engaged in forward/reverse and then lifted it back out of the water.

The next day we decided to take it out for a short run and about half mile from the dock, the motor bogged down and died. Pulling the engine cover and found the bilge compartment under the motor full of water. Determined that we weren’t taking on water through the hull. I ran the bilge pump to remove the water (which was hot and appeared to be cooling water from the open cooling system) and got the motor to start to head back to the dock. Again the bilge filled with water, drowning out the motor with the spray of water off the crankshaft pulley.

Of course now, the bilge pump decided to die, running like crazy, but not pumping (I’ve got the rebuild kit with diaphragm/check valves in hand for next time I go down) So we’re 300 yard from the dock, flagged down a guy on a PWC to tow us back to the dock and we lifted it back out of the water, using a small pump to remove the hot water from the bilge. Didn’t have a chance to do much more than that as we had to get back to the city.

So here’s what I’m thinking… Somewhere in the cooling system, I’ve got a split hose or fitting that is dumping the cooling water out into the bilge after it’s gone through the block/heat exchanger instead of sending it out through the outdrive.

If not that, what are the chances that it blew out a core plug (freeze plug)? If so, is that something that can be replaced without pulling the motor?

I’m going back down in a couple weeks and will rebuild the bilge pump, then drop the boat down in the water and see if I can locate where the water is coming in.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

Back