Logo

Bleed cooling system on new motor

SLICKSHEEZZY

I have a 2001 bayliner with a 5.7 merc and alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive. I just installed a new motor and trying to get water flow back out the outdrive. Trying to do the break in on new motor but starts getting hot. I have the correct hose fitting on the outdrive. Any tricks?

!. Did you install the new impeller correctly?
2. Did you get the copper tube that connects between the upper and lower units of the outdrive in the correct location?
3. connect hose with muffs and remove the incoming water hose at the thermostat housing start motor and see if water is coming thru. then turn off motor. If no water flow to motor then you have a problem.
if it is then reconnect and start motor.

Why did you replace the motor? Details details details............................

There only a few reasons for a motor to get hot.

lack of water coming in, Typically bad impeller or blockage (possibly at the power steering cooler) or pinched water hose at gimbal housing or incorrect assembly at water pump impeller including pinched rubber tube gaskets at the top of the copper tube, There may be others but that is enough for now.

lack of water getting out, typically clogged exhaust elbows or restriction in exhaust possibly at gimbal housing

bad thermostat, stuck closed

bad temp sending unit

bad gage

I just installed a new motor and trying to get water flow back out the outdrive.
Trying to do the break in on new motor but starts getting hot.

A little off topic, but I couldn't help but notice this.

If you can view the drive exhaust outlet, you are likey on your trailer.
If you are trying to begin the break-in process on your trailer....., DO NOT do this out of the water!
The engine must be loaded during the break-in duration in order to properly seat the piston rings against the cylinder walls.
If you miss this opertunity........, there's no going back.

Last edited:
Back