Logo

93 115tlrr bogs and dies above 2k rpm

93 115tlrr had it out running yesterday. Boat was up on plane without issue. Jumped off of plane to mess with my gps and when I went to speed back up motor would not go past 1900-2100rpm. If i tried to advance the throttle beyond that range, the motor will bog and die.

This issue is only when the boat is in forward. I ran it up to 4k in reverse just to see if it could do it, up to 5k in neutral with fast idle.

To me this says that I've got fuel, I've got spark and I've got compression. What I don't have is a clue what to look at to fix the issue.

Just in case anyone comes across this and has a similar issue here's how I fixed my problem....

Took apart remote control (yamaha 703) and found that a the bushing attached to my throttle control lever had slipped off. I loosened my friction tension screw and put the bushing back in place. I then readjusted the friction tension to a desirable level.

I inspected the motor and found that my timing advance screw had backed off (should see some type of torque stripe where the screw threads into the mag lever) so I tightened that back into it's proper position.

It seems that a combination of these things was allowing my fuel flow to increase without advancing my spark and flooding the engine with a quickness.

These two fixes now have that old 93 idling smooth with a throttle response that is amazing. In the 1 1/2 years I've owned the boat it has never behaved this well or jumped on plane this easily.

Back