Logo

6 HP Gearcase

4fishin&huntin

Contributing Member
When looking at the parts diagram for the 6202D gearcase, it shows a magnet (part#51). Did not see this during disassembly. Where does it go and why is it there? Is this just to attarct small filings from the gears? Is it really necessary? Thanks.

As you said it's there to attract filings. It was probably left out years ago and you can get by without it with no problem.

Thanks for the info. that's kinda what I thought too, you don't really need it.

Any ideas on removing the shift rod bushing so I can replace the o-ring under it? I saw a guy video on a youtube tapping threads in to the bushing and then using the proper size bolt through a piece of wood and spun it into the bushing to extract it from the housing. What do you think?

The o-ring can be replaced without removing the bushing.--------But the shops have a special tool to save time.----And yes I also run a 5/16-NC thread in there for 3 threads and have pulled them out that way.

So as an update, I tapped the bushing with 5/16" NC thread. I then slipped a 5/16 bolt through a flat washer and then through the hole in a piece of 2x4 and threaded it into the bushing. After snugging up the bolt and applying some torque, I was afraid the threads in the softer brass bushing were going to strip out. I ended up cutting the threads all the way through the bushing so I could get enough of a bite with the bolt and hopefully not strip the threads in the bushing. I had to apply quite a bit of torque to the wrench and thought it was surely going to strip when the bushing suddenly broke free with a loud BANG. I added more washers to the top under the head of the bolt and continued to extract the bushing. I'm really glad I had extracted the bushing instead of trying to remove and insert the o-ring without removing the bushing as there was a lot of crud, etc. under the bushing where the o-ring sits. I never would have been able to get the new o-ring inserted.

Thank you all for the help.

Back