Logo

2002 Honda 130 4 stroke won't turn over

oski946

My 2002 Honda 130 4 stroke won't start. The batteries are flat so I jumped it with an external pack and then by jumping it from my car. It beeps then makes one turn then clicks. The flywheel on top seem stiff and difficult to turn when I use a wrench. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
SR

I think you should probably verify that it is still in time before cranking the engine any more. If the timing belt has jumped, then you could be bending valves if you keep trying to spin it. You should be able to slowly rotate it CLOCKWISE to align the marks but if you encounter increasing resistance...DON'T FORCE it over. If it has a bent valve hanging in space in one of the cylinders and contacting the piston then continuing to turn the engine will only cause MORE damage.

How long has it been sitting? Is it full of oil? Was it running ok before being stored? Are you sure it's in neutral?

If the timing checks out...try taking the plugs out and squirting some oil in the cylinders. You could also try taking the valve cover off and lubing the valve train to see if that helps. Make sure to leave the plugs out so the oil can get back out of the cylinders and not cause a "hydrolock" condition.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I had a similar problem with my 2007 BF90. If you do as jgmo suggests and it turn ok then it could well be the the battery cables that are breaking down internally reducing the current from the battery.

With a fully charged battery then try adding a set of jump leads as a test to see if that improves things. Positive on battery to + side of starter solenoid and negative on battery to a decent earth on the engine block.

All to often then people blame they`re battery while expecting starter cables to last for over 30 years. If this improves things then nip into an auto store and buy a set of jump leads of the same thickness as your current outboard cables, and fit some ends of the correct side instead of the clip ends. No, the cables aren`t marine grade but if changed every two or three years then they`ll be fine plus cheap and easy.

Cheers, Matt

I got a new battery over the weekend and the engine started right up. The old battery must have been so bad that it couldn't transmit the jump or the power pack. Thanks for your suggestions and I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.
SR

Good news!
With your description of it being hard to turn...a relative term....I felt I had to caution you about the possibility of the timing being out. But, I'm glad the resistance you felt was just plain, good old, healthy compression.
Glad you got it going.

Back