Logo

Mercury 115 Model Year confusion and Bogging issue

Glen Ludwig

I have a Mercury 115 with serial number 4697454 printed on the Tilt trim support just under (all black motor says Mercury 115 on cover & has blue strips on cover and lower unit)the front of the motor, my own research tells me this is a 1977 but it has coil packs rather than a distributor and the motor says Mercury 115 on cover & has blue strips on cover and lower unit. Further more i have found a couple of wiring diagrams online, one of them was for a 1979 only and the other is for 1980 and newer. The wiring on my motor matches the 80+ diagram. Is their any thing else i can look for to determine the exact year.

Also after accelerating to WOT the motor bogs down and the boat slows down. If i decelerate and then go to WOT it takes off and then after 30 sec. it bogs down again.
Squeezing the primer bulb after it bogs will cause it to regain RPM's. The boat didnt have an inline fuel filter and i have since added one. Thinking i am going to check the fuel pump next.

..."The boat didnt have an inline fuel filter and i have since added one."

If it's BEFORE the fuel pump, that could be the problem. The vacuum fuel pumps on OBs are weak.

Are you sure there isn't a filter after the pump? They all came with some kind of filter.

Jeff

Back