Logo

Honda BF115 2006

allanpro

Hi,

I bought an engine without the Product Identification Plate on the stern bracket. It's my first boat... and I didn't know what to check when I bought it :mad:

We had 3 day trips in the beginning of the season with no problem. And then suddenly the engine wouldn't start. We had a local mechanic guy to look at it and he thinks it is the Fuel Pump that is not working anymore. I am not a mechanic but can you please tell me which parts is what in the picture below (I have added some bulbs with a number)?

They tell me that the Fuel Pump is number 2 and it needs to be replaced. But it is very expensive in Denmark (we are looking at 1500 USD just for the new fuel pump).

I have tried to pull of the fuel hose before the fuel rail and the fuel is barely running.. just a few drops when I turn on the ignition. Is it possible that a filter is blocked?

honda_bf_115_2006.jpg

And by the way. Which filters should be replaced every season (or every 2 seasons)? Can you point it out on the picture above?

Thanks for your time.

Best regards
Allan

1) high pressure fuel filter,
2) electric fuel pump
3) vapor separator
4) low pressure fuel filter...filters from tank,
5) oil filter,
6) vapor separator breather,
every season is relative...
depends on use
I have mine now 10 years, service myself...good to check things and replace according to the condition of components.
thereafter, inspect and replace accordingly...

1) high pressure fuel filter,
2) electric fuel pump
3) vapor separator
4) low pressure fuel filter...filters from tank,
5) oil filter,
6) vapor separator breather,
every season is relative...
depends on use
I have mine now 10 years, service myself...good to check things and replace according to the condition of components.
thereafter, inspect and replace accordingly...

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply. Awesome!

One more question. Is it possible for the High Pressure Fuel Filter to block the fuel? I am trying to narrowing down the reason for the fuel blockage.

Do you know if it is possible to buy a used Electrical Fuel Pump somewhere? I can 1500 USD is a lot of money for a component like that?!

Best regards
Allan

It "could" be possible for the HP Filter (the one in the black canister) to block fuel flow if the paper has come apart .
Mind you I replaced mine this year...(eBay) and that is after 10 years of use because I just considered it a good idea.
The old Filter was okay by looking inside it.
By turning the ignition to on without cranking...the electrical pump should prime the system for 3 seconds.
If you hear it working for 3 sec. Then it is probably okay...
For used pumps I would check eBay...or get it somewhere else...1500 used is ridiculous...

Don't know about the 115, but the HP fuel filter is often the culprit on the bigger Honda's.

If you are going to do any of your own diagnostics and maintenance, then make the investment in the official Helm Shop Manual for that engine. They are more expensive than the aftermarket manuals, but are thorough and complete. The maintenance chapter alone will save you many, many times the price over the long run. You can purchase them through Amazon or eBay.

It "could" be possible for the HP Filter (the one in the black canister) to block fuel flow if the paper has come apart .
Mind you I replaced mine this year...(eBay) and that is after 10 years of use because I just considered it a good idea.
The old Filter was okay by looking inside it.
By turning the ignition to on without cranking...the electrical pump should prime the system for 3 seconds.
If you hear it working for 3 sec. Then it is probably okay...
For used pumps I would check eBay...or get it somewhere else...1500 used is ridiculous...
I can hear the pump working for 3 seconds when I ignite. I was not able to unmount the HP filter to manually inspect it. I will ask the mechanic to do so.

I can't really help with your problem.
I too live in Denmark. Europe is not a great place for Honda parts, they either cost the earth or are impossible to find. If you do need new parts I use mainly e-bay to see if i can source it from within Europe as to escape the import duties or boats.net in the US as even with our enormous import duties they are a lot cheaper than X parts.
I would love to hear if you have any alternative places/ sites for sourcing parts that I or others could use.
Held og lykke med motoren.
Dean.

I am not sure what you will see once you take the high pressure (#1) filter off. The filter that the others are familiar with is a paper cartridge filter that goes inside the vapor separator. As you know, yours is a canister.

The bolt at the bottom of the fuel rail (On the left of your picture).... is where you test the high pressure fuel pressure.

If you do not have a gauge that will fit....as an alternative, you could always remove the bolt (wear safety glasses and cover the bolt with a rag...in case it is under pressure). When you turn the key switch to on, fuel should flow quickly out of that opening.

The high pressure filter could be the problem. Depending on what you find....if you do need to replace the fuel pump, you may want to price out this part number.....06167-ZW5-305. It retails for 382.80 US. It is a kit that includes a newly designed vapor separator (with new high pressure pump and filter inside), a new fuel rail, a water separator, and various hoses to complete the job. A new fuel pump for your motor is $525 US. I am not even sure if it is still available.

I know which direction I would go, if you find that the fuel pump is an issue.

Mike

Back