Logo

Play in the trim position sensor

bobd9000

I have a 1981 MCM120 with a pre-alpha sterndrive and there is play in the trim position sensor. I get a smooth full reading from the gauge when I rotate the sensor stem by hand but on the drive it either doesn't move or only slightly moves. The Limit switch works just fine. I checked that the hinge pin does turn when the drive is raised and lowered and there seems to be play in the sensor when trying to adjust it. The sensor doesn't seem to be worn and there is not play in the hinge pin tool and the hinge pin. Is the a trick or something that I can do to take the play out of the sensor?

Any assistance would be appreciated....Thanks

put the sender into the hinge pin and rotate it and see if you get a smooth reading.

Sometimes the hex (plastic ) gets worn as you suggest and will not move exactly in sync with the hinge pin.

Also maybe when tightening the screws you are putting a bend into the sender and the center tap on the variable resister no long swipes evenly.

They don't last for ever and have to be replaced........................

Thanks....It moves smoothly when in the hinge pin and turned....It is not a tight fit and there is play when turning it back and forth. It doesn't look worn.

Back