Logo

Installation of remote 9.8HP Tohatsu new, question

daniel4616

MY friend wants a 9.8HP remote model and it has to be dealer installed. I am asking here if the installation requires the dealer to bolt through the transom on ALL remote models. This boat is kept outside and the owner does not want it bolt mounted through the transom. He wants the be able to remote the engine and put in his garage. We called a few local service departments of Tohatsu dealers but none of them gave us a definitive answer. Any input from a Tohatsu dealer or someone who works at a dealer and service department to shed some light on this would help greatly.

Thanks.

We bolt them when we can, but would not REQUIRE it. Mine is not bolted, but it could not take a swim even if free from the transom, since it is installed in a hull cutout in the lazarette of my sailboat. Keep in mind that the 9.8 has a lot more low-end torque than many older 2-strokers, so if you go without bolts, keep a lanyard on the motor (or count on the steering cable to keep a loose motor with the boat), and verify the clamp screw tightness frequently.

Back