Logo

7.4 lifter noise

seahound

First time post i have a 32 luhrs 32 with marine power 454 i am getting a ticking sound so had a mechanic take it apart and replace all lifters put back together started and the ticking came back any ideas :(

if the rocker arm nut didn't back off and the rocker arms didn't have excessive wear, I'd suspect the cam lobe(s) are worn...you can measure them with a dial indicator.

I have the same problem did you ever find the problem. I replaced the Mercruiser non adjustable rockers with comp cams roller rockers with no effect on the ticking I was planning on removing the EFI intake to get at the lifters to replace them may be I should also replace the cam.

I did not mine has now developed what sounds like a low end rap. So it looks like a new or at least rebuilt engine is in oder.

Rule of thumb is to replace the camshaft if the lifters are worn. Putting new lifters on a worn out camshaft will result in quickly worn out lifters, kind of a waste of time and money.

i am getting a ticking sound so had a mechanic take it apart and replace all lifters put back together started and the ticking came back any ideas :(

A bit off topic...... but I'd like to ask who diagnosed the problem?
If the mechanic diagnosed it, I would think twice about paying for work that did not correct the problem.

sorry I took so long to get back but here is what I found and did. I took out both engines and rebuilt both. The one making all the noise had a spun bearing. My other one had a bent push rod and sucked water through the exhaust valve . Just put them back in covered boat and waiting for spring.

Back