Logo

OMC Cobra 5.7 won't stay running after covering all the obvious issues

Seasqwirl

Seaswirl - Sable
21’ cuddy
OMC Cobra 5.7

Just picked the boat up in a horse trade (previous owner told me it runs great and it fired in the driveway), put it on the water and it ran like ****. Over heated really bad and come to find the impeller was shredded. Replace the impeller and dumped the old fuel and the same. Started inspecting and fixed what I could find...

Rebuild water pump (replaced impeller).
Rebuilt carburetor.
New fuel pump.
Cleaned fuel pick up screen and check valve.
New fuel filter and separator.
Vent line is clear, screen is clean.
Checked cap, points, and rotor. GOOD
Replaced condenser (just because).
Replaced spark plugs.
Checked coil connections and wire.
Coil check – .79 OHM primary, 10.800 OHM secondary.
Inspected interrupter has no visual issues, works like it should in and out of gear.
Small gear oil leak out of left side of outdrive (replaced seals and gaskets, no more leak).
Greased drive.

Starts right up, idles fine, goes into gear and idles fine, accelerate to 3500 RPM boat planes out and inside of two minute stalls dead. Starts right up…but this time will only goes 3K RPM (anymore and it cuts out), runs for few minutes and stalls dead. Starts right up…only 2K RPM…a few minutes and stalls dead. Starts and will only do 1500 RPM and stalls dead. Then hard to start, wait a few minutes and it starts but will only idle, any acceleration will stall the motor. Then it gets harder and harder to keep it running and get back to dock. Temp is normal, voltage good, oil pressure good, plug inspection shows it's running a little rich.
The last time I had it out the idle was high, about 1400 RPM (could be the rebuild and it needs adjusting).

I am stumped and not sure what else to check. Does anyone have any ideas??

I would check the lines from the tank. They are probably old and not made for modern fuels with ethanol. Could be the inside of the hoses have deteriorated which is causing the fuel starvation. Check that the fuel/water separator is not clogged up (if equipped. if not strongly urge you install at least a single stage one)

Seaswirl - Sable
21’ cuddy
OMC Cobra 5.7

Just picked the boat up in a horse trade (previous owner told me it runs great and it fired in the driveway), put it on the water and it ran like ****. Over heated really bad and come to find the impeller was shredded. Replace the impeller and dumped the old fuel and the same. Started inspecting and fixed what I could find...

Rebuild water pump (replaced impeller).
Rebuilt carburetor.
New fuel pump.
Cleaned fuel pick up screen and check valve.
New fuel filter and separator.
Vent line is clear, screen is clean.
Checked cap, points, and rotor. GOOD
Replaced condenser (just because).
Replaced spark plugs.
Checked coil connections and wire.
Coil check – .79 OHM primary, 10.800 OHM secondary.
Inspected interrupter has no visual issues, works like it should in and out of gear.
Small gear oil leak out of left side of outdrive (replaced seals and gaskets, no more leak).
Greased drive.

Starts right up, idles fine, goes into gear and idles fine, accelerate to 3500 RPM boat planes out and inside of two minute stalls dead. Starts right up…but this time will only goes 3K RPM (anymore and it cuts out), runs for few minutes and stalls dead. Starts right up…only 2K RPM…a few minutes and stalls dead. Starts and will only do 1500 RPM and stalls dead. Then hard to start, wait a few minutes and it starts but will only idle, any acceleration will stall the motor. Then it gets harder and harder to keep it running and get back to dock. Temp is normal, voltage good, oil pressure good, plug inspection shows it's running a little rich.
The last time I had it out the idle was high, about 1400 RPM (could be the rebuild and it needs adjusting).

I am stumped and not sure what else to check. Does anyone have any ideas??
Ever get this figured out? I have the same problem with my 21' Fourwinns Omc Cobra 5.7L. I'm starting to think maybe the carberator. Scott

Back