Logo

crusader 350 FI recomended cruising RPM in 1986 twin Chris Craft 350 Catalina

celt

I have purchased a 1986 Chris Craft 350 With 2012 Crusader fuel injected 350 hp engines. Dry weight 18,000 + lbs.

I am looking for the recomended cruising RPMs for this boat and motor combination.

Txs Celt

I have found that you have 2 cruising speeds. A very good low speed no higher than 1500 RPM. A high speed cruise around 3000 - 3500 RPM. Simply if you want to run faster than 1500 you need to go to 3000. The idea is either you run at displacement speed or you run at planing speed. If you're leaving a huge wake you need to go faster. You will burn less fuel running 3000 3500 fully up on plane than you will running 2600 in the hole. GPS,coupled with fuel flow data will allow you to fine tune your speed v RPM v fuel consumption. Trim tabs,correctly used,can also help you get and stay up on plane at lower RPMs

I have found that you have 2 cruising speeds. A very good low speed no higher than 1500 RPM. A high speed cruise around 3000 - 3500 RPM. Simply if you want to run faster than 1500 you need to go to 3000. The idea is either you run at displacement speed or you run at planing speed. If you're leaving a huge wake you need to go faster. You will burn less fuel running 3000 3500 fully up on plane than you will running 2600 in the hole. GPS,coupled with fuel flow data will allow you to fine tune your speed v RPM v fuel consumption. Trim tabs,correctly used,can also help you get and stay up on plane at lower RPMs

Thanks for the prompt and succinct reply. As a matter of curiosity, what was your fuel burn at displacement speed and planing speed?

Txs, Celt

6 GPH @ 1500 about 6 knots20 GPH @3100 about 20 knots.That total for both engines. Full fuel load of 250Gals slows me down a bit. But, it gets better as you burn off fuel.

Back