Logo

Too much oil in 4.3 mercruiser

Jiggy2012

Hi
recently purchased a chaparral 1800 sl in the UK as my first boat. I've had it serviced before using it by a marine spe******t but have had these problems on the first trip out since. For the first 90 mins everything was fine however we had noticed about a 15 knot reduction in top end from the start. We suddenly dropped oil pressure then heard loud knocking noise from engine. We turned it off straight away and had to call another boat to yow us in.
Today now the boat is out the water I levelled her on the trailer then checked the oil levels. The oil seems to be about an inch higher than it should be on the dipstick. Is my problem been caused by the fact it has too much oil in?

Is my problem been caused by the fact it has too much oil in?

Ayuh,.... It could be,.... The crankshaft will beat the oil into a froth,....

You don't Check the oil level each day,..?? each week,..??

I check it every time I start a cold motor,....

oil1.jpg Is the oil on the dipstick to high from a cold engine? Its about an inch higher than the ok range. The marine chap that serviced it said he took out 250ml yesterday to get it back on the mark but mentioned something about taking into account the oil filter draining back into the engine. All i know is that ive got loss of oil pressure on the engine and loud knocking noise now after only 2 hours of running it from a service.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 137
Running temp was normal but had noticed a loss in performance since the service. 3 weeks ago it was taking on water from the y part of the exhaust which resulted in new exhaust, starter motor, trim pump solanoids etc. The water was about 4 inches deep in the boat before it was pumped out by the marina. All the work was done and then the service before it went back in.

Back