Logo

Water pressure while on hose/ears?

dentpusher

Well from previous post, I decided to wait until after vacation to fix the minor water leak into gear case and just put a new H2O pump in. I have done this before and had great results. Not too hard and I can follow the directions on the OEM pump kit. Anyway, all seems to go very smooth and I hook up hose.... no water pressure on gauge.... Hmmm. Stream pretty good-about the same as old pump that was in very good shape-water was warm so I shut it off and restart... now stream not quite as strong and still no pressure on gauge.

Should I see water pressure on gauge while on ears, I would think so but never checked before, and where can I tap in with a pressure gauge to determine if gauge is operating properly?

98 Johnson Venom 200

Thanks for the help

You simply cannot test a water pump on muffs. The pump is not pumping water, it is simply letting hose water go through.

Ok, well, I disassembled inspected the waterpump but could find nothing obvious. I reassembled and installed the LU, this time pulling on the driveshaft, but it barely moves. I put the unit in a large tub of water and started the engine. The stream was still not super strong and nothing on the gauge. I rapped on the pressure gauge with my knuckles and it popped up to 5 psi. I went back to feel the stream and now it is shooting out like a rocket and my wife reports the gauge shows 10 psi at idle. This takes place in the period of about 90 seconds.

Could this be explained by a faulty gauge or does it take a few seconds for the assembly soap and grease to wear away and pressure to build?

Last edited:
Ok, well, I drexplained by the gear case and could find nothing obvious. I reassembled and installed the case this time pulling on the driveshaft but it barely moves. I put the unit in a large tub of water and started the engine. The stgaugem was still not super strong and nothing on the gauge. I rapped on the pressure gauge with my knuckles and it popped up to 5 psi. I went back to feel the stream and now it is shooting out like a rocket and my wife reports the gauge shows 10 psi at idle. This takes place in the period of about 90 seconds.

Could this be explained by a faulty gauge or does it take a few seconds for the assembly soap and grease to wear away and pressure to build?

Back