Logo

Bf40 impeller pieces

Tabernacle

I have a bf40 that had burn little tiny pieces of rubber off the impeller and seems to be clogging because my red light comes on but no buzzer. I replaced the impeller today and thermostat in the beginning of the season. I took the thermostat out and blew air nozzle in there and pee hole to try dislocate any blockage.put all back together and pees better than ever but red light was on when i looked like 5 seconds later. Ran four five minutes.. Shut off and the water was really hot as it continued to come out the pee hole. Does anyone have the pictures for unblocking the t where the water jackets split, or do you think there is another problem? Thank you much

Air will not get the pieces out. You need a high volume of water (garden hose). Pull the lower unit back off and are remove the thermostat and stick the garden hose in there and blast away. Hopefully, it will break any small pieces out. Also check under the the water pump and inside the pickup screens, as the pieces like to drop that way instead of going up sometimes.

If you are running the motor on a hose, be sure to tape up the third water intake above the propeller or you will suck air and not enough water....causing an overheat and possible damage to the impeller.

I do not have any pictures for unblocking in the water jacket. Never had to do it. If they make it that high, you just have to dig the pieces out with a pick. We have had to do it several times for workboats with Mercury's that worked in shallow water around sand....talk about caked up!

You will not overheat in 5 seconds, so your overheat light should not come on that soon. There may be an issue with the light, wiring or sensor. If the motor has overheated in the past, the lead from the sensor may have had its insulation melted and the wire is grounded to the block.

Mike

You don't think its thermostat, where is the wires and the sensor that i could check it. Is it normal for the water that flows out the pee hole to be real hot after shutting it off? Thx

No pictures showed. But, it sounds like you got more pieces out.

The temperature switch is just below the thermostat.

Yes, you could have a bad thermostat, however, you said that the red light would come on in 5 seconds after starting the motor. Unless the motor just running and you restarted, the engine will not overheat in 5 seconds.

Mike

Thx Mike, appreciate all the help... So it pisses like crazy, you think its ok to run... Giving that those pieces were in there while i ran wide open for 6 months and had no light. So if i start it up and the red light is on from the start, you believe its a sensor.. The small one or the bigger one. One has a red wire, other yellow?

If the light comes on at the start, it could be the sensor, wiring, or indicator. It is the one with the red lead.

You can remove the red lead from the sensor and see what happens. If the red light still comes on, it is not the sensor. Then disconnect the red lead as it goes into the light assembly (if you can).

Normally, if there is a ground on the lead, the ground goes to light the light and tells the CDI to sound the audible alarm. So, either there is no ground on the lead (indicating the light module is bad), your audible alarm does not work, or the CDI is no telling the audible alarm to sound.

You did not say what year your motor is but here is an owner's manual for a 2000 BF40. http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31ZW4603.pdf

In the back is a wiring diagram. If you have a different year, go to this Honda site to download the correct one, based on your serial number. http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF40

So, there are still a lot of unknowns. If you have access to a hand held temperature gun, check the temperature at the thermostat. If your motor is before 2004, then the thermostat is fully open at 162 deg F (72 deg C). So the temperature should be somewhere around that number at the thermostat housing. That is the way to tell for sure that the motor is ok to use.

Mike

Back