Logo

Looking at my first boat

panteramatt

Im looking at getting a bowrider soon. Ive never owned a boat before but I am mechanically inclined. ITs a 1995 glastron ssv195 and th eguy said it hasnt been ran for 2 years but has a newer 4.3 and outdrive. He said it will need a new battery and starter. Its been winterized this whole time. It looks really nice from the pics and he only wants $2000. SO, what do I look for in this motor to make sure its good? Im bringing a battery and jumper cables but what else should I bring? Can I start the motor temporarily without a water hookup?

only if you can remove the drive so you don't melt the impeller in it.
The best advice is to do a on-water test where possable. If that cant be done, started on muffs with water till up to normal temp,
check oil for contamination, normal temp, normal volts, etc.
You would want to have water running thru the motor to check the winterizing process didnt leave you with cracked manifolds or a cracked block.
A bad starter could mean it had a high water level .and if high enough would enter the bellows and cause problems with the U joints and gimbal bearing.

Last edited:
only if you can remove the drive so you don't melt the impeller in it.
The best advice is to do a on-water test where possable. If that cant be done, started on muffs with water till up to normal temp,
check oil for contamination, normal temp, normal volts, etc.
You would want to have water running thru the motor to check the winterizing process didnt leave you with cracked manifolds or a cracked block.
A bad starter could mean it had a high water level .and if high enough would enter the bellows and cause problems with the U joints and gimbal bearing.

+1 on water test-running just on the muffs will not be an indication of overall performance, have to put the engine under load.
Look around egine compartment and other areas for water marks. Get the engine and drive serial numbers to confirm year model.
Look for softness, flex in the floor. Take a rubber hammer, tap on the transom - if you hear a hollow sound instead of a good solid thunk
the transom may be rotted. It's 20 years old - be careful!

Back