Logo

Lightning Damage to electric start

mrmikear

Had 8HP 2 stroke 1990's Tohatsu outboard on sailboat hit by lightning. The electricity apparently traveled into the motor through the battery line. The electric start no longer works. Any idea of what would be the most likely thing(s) to fail? Does it seem like an easy/cheap fix for someone with little experience? The motor isn't worth much of anything so seemingly not worthwhile to bring it to a shop where they might spend hours or days trying to fix it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Could be as simple as the fuse. Check fuse, start button, neutral switch, solenoid, and starter motor.

Battery OK. Didn't know there was a fuse inside but that's encouraging and will be great if changing the fuse fixes it! Thanks.

Fuse is bad so I'll replace that and hope for the best. Also unable to start using pull starter. Would the blown fuse affect pull starting? I wouldn't think so since I presume the two starting systems are independent.

Pull start doesn't jam. Just no spark. I presume that the blown fuse doesn't affect the pull start? When I first noticed the motor wouldn't start, a friend who knows more abt motors than me took it and tried starting it. According to him, he got it started but only for a second before it would crap out.

So the recoil starter works. You need to diagnose the electrical system, using a Factory service manual as a guide.

Back