Logo

misst2

misst2

Good day folks, I have a 2003 BF20D Honda and the problem I am having is I am traveling along and the motor is running just fine then it will start to surge then stall, all most like it is running out of gas. I will take it out of gear and push the starter button and away go for about 1-4min then it will surge and stall, out of gear hit starter button and it starts. I run it on a day tank and the primer bulb is hard, the in-line fuel filter has a little air in it but 90 percent full. This problem has just started and I run he motor 5 days a week for work, I use Shell midgrade gas. Any help would be. Thanks

Will this do the same thing if you go slow or if you go fast? If not, what is the difference?

Will it still fail within 3 minutes or so if you run it after it has been cold?

If so...it might be a fuel issue or it could be an overheat....or oil is too low.

Check the oil level.

Once the motor starts to fail, partially open the fuel tank cap (in case the vent is failing) and squeeze the fuel bulb (acting as the fuel pump). If either of those moves improve the operation, that is where to start checking things.

If none of the above does anything....remove the thermostat (top port side of the engine). It has a plastic cover. See if there is debris in the thermostat housing clogging the water flow. You might also try running the engine with the thermostat and the cover off (FOR JUST A SHORT TIME) and see if you have a good flow of water coming out of the housing. It should pour out pretty good....not just dribble. If it dribbles, then you may need a new water pump.

One last thing. If none of the above seems to point you in any direction....drain fuel in the carburetor into a glass jar and check for water.

Let us know if any of the above gives you a direction.

Mike

Will this do the same thing if you go slow or if you go fast? If not, what is the difference?

Will it still fail within 3 minutes or so if you run it after it has been cold?

If so...it might be a fuel issue or it could be an overheat....or oil is too low.

Check the oil level.

Once the motor starts to fail, partially open the fuel tank cap (in case the vent is failing) and squeeze the fuel bulb (acting as the fuel pump). If either of those moves improve the operation, that is where to start checking things.

If none of the above does anything....remove the thermostat (top port side of the engine). It has a plastic cover. See if there is debris in the thermostat housing clogging the water flow. You might also try running the engine with the thermostat and the cover off (FOR JUST A SHORT TIME) and see if you have a good flow of water coming out of the housing. It should pour out pretty good....not just dribble. If it dribbles, then you may need a new water pump.

One last thing. If none of the above seems to point you in any direction....drain fuel in the carburetor into a glass jar and check for water.

Mike

Thanks Mike I am heading down to the dock to chex out the oil level and drain the crab and thermostat and will let you know how it went.

Thanks Mike I tried all the things you said and when I took the thermostat cover the water was only coming up to the bottom of the housing, but with rpm's the water would come out, but not with a lot of force. I am going to pull the boat out of the water and put a new impeller. I'm hoping that's the problem.

Mike

Mike can this be tested out of the water on muffs?

Yes, you can check with muffs on a hose. Make sure the muffs are tight on the motor. They tend to slip off the small motors.

If you find that you are missing impeller pieces (which I think you will), check for the missing pieces under the water pump and down inside the pickup screen.

Also, backflush the system with a garden hose from the thermostat housing.

Mike

Thanks guys, The impeller only had 1 1/2 fins on it, and I think I got all the pieces out. I guess the lesson here is just because there is water coming out of the pisser hole doesn't mean much, only that there is water coming out the pisser.

The motor I running good for now. Thanks again Stan

Back