Logo

Looking for patient soul to help with timing Older yamahasta

cireg24

(Edit) sorry for spelling on title..........1985 Yamaha 175 hp....lll make it short....changed stator and cleaned carbs. Motor runs fine at low and high just when flooring the throttle it bogs or misses. I know I have to set timing since I messed with screws changing parts, want to set before I start trying to diagnose anything else. Just want to eliminate this possibility If someone could walk me through this step by step I would appreciate it. I know best way to do this is in the water under load but I read that it can get pretty close if done correctly sitting out. Also does a regular car timing light work or do I even need it. Don't have specialized tools but I follow directions, I went to kinder....Thanks everybody.

Last edited:
Re: Looking for patient soul to help with timing Older yamaha

C'mon fellows someone's gotta have an idea of this.....or does anyone know of someone that can do this in so cal..near orange/la county?

A regular timing light for a car is all that is needed. I'm not familiar with the model of outboard you are referring to, but there will generally be a linkage that advances and retards the timing. Do you have the spec for your manual for what it should be? For the general process I'd just watch any YouTube video you can find on how to use a timing light if you aren't familiar, and then Google for the BTDC/ ATDC degrees that your motor should be at when idling.

Stuart

I have the factory service manual that covers your motor. Send me a PM and I'll send you info on static timing (motor not running). Just did mine. Pretty straight forward.

Back