Logo

impellar housing

chadw

I thought this would be easy. The 4 bolts on the water pump housing were so coroded all 4 heads busted off. I took a pencil torch to them used pb blaster. Tried extractors and nothing works. Average hourly rate is 80 an hour. Any one have an idea of time to remove them or should I drill them out and re thread

Thanks any advice helps

A pencil torch ???? ---------------Try using a bigger torch to heat the housing around the studs.---------That will expand the aluminum so it looses the grip on the thread.

A pencil torch ???? ---------------Try using a bigger torch to heat the housing around the studs.---------That will expand the aluminum so it looses the grip on the thread.

Thanks for the reply. How much is too much heat I think I have been to cautious. I was told pencil torch to not heat up too much area.

Likely the studs will let go before the paint burns off.-----Aluminum melts at about 1200-F so not much chance of doing damage here.-----------You will likely do more damage with drilling etc.

Likely the studs will let go before the paint burns off.-----Aluminum melts at about 1200-F so not much chance of doing damage here.-----------You will likely do more damage with drilling etc.

Thanks a lot. you deserve another gold medal for this info.

Back