Logo

is washer on ujoint yoke spindle suppose to spin on the shaft or be tight on the shaft ?

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I am replacing my 270 complete joint assembly with one I bought that is in good condition. The u joint yoke spindle washer that goes into the upper gear box-- does it spin easily on the spindle shaft or is it suppose to be very tight. My old yoke spindle washer moves freely on the yoke spindle shaft but the yoke spindle shaft I bought- its washer is really tight on the shaft and doesn't spin
what to do?
Thanks,
tmcboat

Hi All,
I am replacing my 270 complete joint assembly with one I bought that is in good condition. The u joint yoke spindle washer that goes into the upper gear box-- does it spin easily on the spindle shaft or is it suppose to be very tight. My old yoke spindle washer moves freely on the yoke spindle shaft but the yoke spindle shaft I bought- its washer is really tight on the shaft and doesn't spin
what to do?
Thanks,
tmcboat

Are you refering to the main drive gear seal surface washer???
SEQ #23 here... part number 832675???

If so, yes, it will spin freely on the male yoke shaft.

It also contains the shims that control the Bearing Box rolling torque value..... which means that if you use a different seal surface washer (from that of the original), you MUST go back through the rolling torque value procedure.

This is because the bore depth for the shim control is not the same between one washer and another.

This washer is also O-ring sealed to the male yoke flange.

FYI... if the original washer surface is rusty, and is the reason for wanting to replace it......, it can be polished while removing no more than .003" or .004" or so.

DO NOT leave any swirl markings in it.
Swirl marks in the wrong direction will cause the oil to whick out from under the seal lip.

yes ,
I have the washer with the o ring that fits on the ujoint male yoke shaft that goes into the upper gear box. The newer ujoint male yoke shaft washer is not rusted but fits very tight on the shaft and does not spin. My original washer and shims are good and spins on the old yoke shaft. Can I use the original washer and shims on the replacement ujoint male yoke shaft?. Will it be ok to so that it matches the original bearing box rolling torque value ?
Thanks,
tmcboat

Back