Logo

Choke proper way? OMC Cobra 4.3l

arkansasbowman

Okay I admit I am in a bit of a new world here. Bought a very nice Four Winns 1988 with a new rebuilt Jasper engine. I only have experience with outboards so hence my question.

ONCE the boats starts, she runs great no issue's, no hot re-start issue's. But when doing dead cold start she has to crank and crank and crank. I usually cycle the starter for no more than say 15 maybe 20 seconds. The owner told me you pull out on the throttle to choke. This is new to me so bare with me. Do I pull multiple times or pull and hold well cranking. It is almost like she is not choking at all. And again I am use too pushing upwards on the ingnition key to choke not pull inward on the throttle control so this is different for me.

I have learned a lot already but never can learn enough. Thanks in advance

The owner told me you pull out on the throttle to choke.

Ayuh,.... Ya pull out the lever to get Throttle Only, no shiftin',....

Then when ya move the lever to Wot, the auto-choke is set,....

I usually pump to Wot a couple times, so's the acc. pump shoots in a couple shots of raw gas, then hit the key at 'bout 3/4 throttle, pullin' back to near idle as soon as it starts,....

worked perfectly. absolutely was the issue, did exactly as instructed and started within a few starter cranks. Thank You. Told wife last night must mean Wide Open Throttle, good guess LOL :)

And as a good maintenance practice, spray carb cleaner on the choke shaft where it goes thru the top of the carb, and the whole choke linkage. For those of us who grew up with carbs this was part of the yearly tune up. That will keep it working well. It does not take much dirt/dust/crud to cause a sticking choke...

Back