Logo

tmikewww

tmikewww2

I have a 2006/7? BF50, I had impeller replaced and now when powering up to get on plane, the buzzers go off, limiter
comes on. The motor is "peeing" all the time...I shut the motor off and it starts right back up and runs fine...but, as soon
as I power up again the same thing happens, could this be a bad heat sensor? Thank you for any help you can give

The first thing I would do is drop the lower unit and make sure you didn't put the impeller in backwards, and that you re-installed the metal shaft key (Woodruff key) in correctly.

CHawk, Thanks for the info. I just retuned from my boat mechanic(a one hundred mile round trip) and turns out....it was the
thermostat. We'll find out next Tuesday.....on my next trip to the lake...

OK.....so it wasn't the thermostat after all...although I ended up replacing it. Engine started doing the same after I took it out again...so...Back to repair shop(100 mile R/T) again! Replaced impeller....just got back from the lake, and.....everything worked
GREAT!

Looks like you called this one from the GIT-GO chawk_man!
Yes...still here....watching....learning...

It is curious that you were getting water out the telltale with a bad impeller. I have an '04 BF50 that had been sitting for years. Replaced the impeller and get a strong stream out the telltale but the overheat warning comes on after idling a few minutes in a bucket. Picked up a thermostat this morning and that will be tonight's project.

Jimmy - Glad to hear you're still following on the forum.

JimKNJ - How big of a bucket? That 50 will heat up the water pretty fast of you don't have a BIG bucket or a constant flow in and out.

Jimmy - Glad to hear you're still following on the forum.

JimKNJ - How big of a bucket? That 50 will heat up the water pretty fast of you don't have a BIG bucket or a constant flow in and out.

That's a good point! I had not thought of that. I tried first with the flush attachment but was not able to get enough water flow. Ended up pulling the impeller again to make sure I had not damaged it. I ended up using a bucket just big enough so it could very well be the water is too hot to cool properly. I will try ears to see what happens just for curiosity sake. After 2 years of salt water use (on a mooring so limited flush during the year) and sitting for a few years I don't think changing the thermostat is a bad idea regardless :)

Muffs don't seem to work well on that engine. When I've tested a BF 50 for friends, I used a large plastic trash can (40 or 50 gallon.) Put it under the lower unit, empty. If you need to raise the engine, do so, then ease it down into the trash can. Fill with water leaving the hose in the bottom of the trash can. Test your engine. If you are going to test for a while, keep the hose running and let it overflow out of the trash can. When finished, disconnect the hose at the water source and let the water siphon out of the trash can through the hose.

If you are using a bucket, make sure the water is high enough up the midsection to cover where the impeller housing.

Mike

Changing the thermostat isn't a good idea.................it's a GREAT IDEA!

Also, please follow chawk_man's advice about using a trash can if AT ALL possible. It's truly the BEST way to test run your outboard and achieve ACCURATE results about the performance of your cooling system. Even if using muffs provided for a 100% seal...which they won't on MANY outboards...running the engine on a hose will reveal absolutely ZERO performance faults because the water is under immense pressure and is usually nice and COLD.

BUT...even with a trash can....the water can heat up rapidly if you don't leave the hose running a bit. Keep that in mind if you are testing anywhere you can't have an "overflow"...like THE ENTIRE STATE OF CALIFORNIA!

Good luck.

I've been reading about guys putting 4 or 5 gal of vinegar in the trash cans and running 15 min, cool down for 30, run for 15, cool down 30 etc a few cycles to clean out the cooling passages as well. Might help keep the thermostats from going kaput so often.

That will probably work and likely do no harm. You could also apply Sale Away the same way.

As for the t-stats. Why not just add their removal and cleaning to your 100 hour maintenance schedule?

Of course, but vinegar is so much cheaper and if it's something you do regularly the costs really add up. But it does kill all the grass it touches so there's that drawback.

Back