Logo

Yamaha 50hp chirps at idle

dokker

After running flawlessly for 13 years my outboard had developed a chirp while idling. It will idle at 9000rpm, then a loud chirp will come from the motor and the rpms will go down to about 7000 for about a second before raising back up to 9000. This will happen randomly every 5-10 seconds. Runs great while in gear, only does this while idling. First time having it out this year. Model number is 50 LTHQ, 1992 motor. Any ideas, i just bought a larger boat and was going to put this up for sale, terrible timing for this to happen!! i appreciate all comments!

Sorry i cant figure out how to attach the video, if there is a way please let me know and i will

After running flawlessly for 13 years my outboard had developed a chirp while idling. It will idle at 900rpm, then a loud chirp will come from the motor and the rpms will go down to about 700 for about a second before raising back up to 900. This will happen randomly every 5-10 seconds. Runs great while in gear, only does this while idling. First time having it out this year. Model number is 50 LTHQ, 1992 motor. Any ideas, i just bought a larger boat and was going to put this up for sale, terrible timing for this to happen!! i appreciate all comments!

Sorry i cant figure out how to attach the video, if there is a way please let me know and i will

Here is a youtube video i shot of it running. I just found another youtube video showing the same thing, calling it a "lean sneeze". Some were saying to adjust the carbs. Does this sound right? I will give this a shot and see what happens when i return home next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PIP5e2GCOk

Last edited:
After running flawlessly for 13 years my outboard had developed a chirp while idling. It will idle at 9000rpm, then a loud chirp will come from the motor and the rpms will go down to about 7000 for about a second before raising back up to 9000. This will happen randomly every 5-10 seconds. Runs great while in gear, only does this while idling. First time having it out this year. Model number is 50 LTHQ, 1992 motor. Any ideas, i just bought a larger boat and was going to put this up for sale, terrible timing for this to happen!! i appreciate all comments!

900 and 700rpm, not 9000 and 7000

Back