Logo

84 115hp evinrude... possible buzzer broken?

comet424

Regular Contributor
hi I rebuilt my engine from scratch and the remote control

I figured id test the buzzer by the by the temperature over heat senders

by just runninging a jumper wire from that quick connector to ground of the engine all it does it sparks the my jumper wire and I hear kinda the buzzer clicking or so making some kinda noise

isn't it supposed to buzz? and there is no oil in my VRO oil tank yet isn't it supposed to buzz as soon as I turn on key ??? if so does this mean the buzzer is shot

I just finished trouble shooting my coil packs and now this issue as I don't wanna test engine before everything working

If you have the small plastic horn that has a built in black ground wire, yes, it should give a one second beep when you turn the key on.

To test the horn...... Apply 12v to the slide on terminal that is "Furthest" away from that black ground wire, then simply ground the other slide on terminal to ground. The horn should sound!

-------------------
If you have the plain warning horn that "Does Not" have the built in black ground wire, simply apply 12v to one slide on terminal and ground the other. The horn should sound!

ok I just took it apart

mine is just the old one the 2 wire one I took it off and tested it just sparks

and I looked at the new one 0585992 number that wont fit in my control box

can you still buy the old number? or you gotta go with this and mount it outside of the box
as I could just use a car horn instead?

but whats the purpose of the newer one you said it beeps when you first turn key on.... and I guess the buzzer wouldn't go off unless engine is running for low oil? as I followed wires it would only go off when no oil in the VRO pump

and what is the wiring to the Oil tank for?

You can wire anything into that circuit you have a mind to BUT keep in mind that a car horn (something big) would require more amps so you would need to rewire as needed.... that small wiring would overheat and melt no doubt.

Small mechanical or electronic horns are available at electronic and electrical stores that would function on your present wiring.

The self test can be installed simply by having a wire connected to the TAN wire, and have the other end of that wire connected to a push button or toggle switch terminal whose other terminal is connected to ground.

The oil tank wiring is to make the horn beep every 20 seconds should the oil drop to the 1/4 level.

You can wire anything into that circuit you have a mind to BUT keep in mind that a car horn (something big) would require more amps so you would need to rewire as needed.... that small wiring would overheat and melt no doubt.

Small mechanical or electronic horns are available at electronic and electrical stores that would function on your present wiring.

The self test can be installed simply by having a wire connected to the TAN wire, and have the other end of that wire connected to a push button or toggle switch terminal whose other terminal is connected to ground.

The oil tank wiring is to make the horn beep every 20 seconds should the oil drop to the 1/4 level.

oh ok.. ya the source doesn't do buzzers anymore harder to find and since radio shack is gone too..

as for wiring the self test one can I wire it to the ignition is that how it supposed to work you wire it to accessory pole when you turn on key it would beep for a second??

as for the oil tank does it make the buzzer beep when engine is off say on Accessory/on or it only comes on when its running?? as right now I put a test light between the 2 wires of the horn and grounded the temp sensor wires to make it come on.... but should it make the test light flash every 20 seconds when the engine not running as well

I guess ill be looking for a buzzer from maybe Canadian tire or so... the marina got back to me on the buzzer... that one with the extra housing I guess for a self test.. well its $140 before taxes....so damn guess I wont be putting that one on... don't know why soo expensive...

but I guess ill just try to find a buzzer and make a test button you mentioned that way I can press it to test if she working and mount it under the dash

Fwiw those horns do go bad. I had one turn into a puddle of smoking molten goo inside the control box one day. Luckily had a spare.

Regardless. Think before I spent $140+ on a replacement, I'd shop around?

ok thanks ill find out on weekend or tomorrow if I get time

now I got issues with the shift cable on to next topic lol

thanks for the help

Back