Logo

Folding Shaft 3 hp Lightwin

Hello,

I am resurrecting a '66 3 hp Lightwin with the folding shaft option. Removing the water pump housing is is more complicated than normal because the connecting collar on the lower drive shaft is in the way of sliding the housing up an off the shaft. I ended up pulling the shaft out of the gear housing so that I could slide the water pump housing and impeller off. The only other way to accomplish this would be to drive the two pins that hold the shaft coupler and spring out of the lower drive shaft. Re-installing the shaft into the gear box is a challenge, and the coupler pins are frozen in the shaft.

Has anyone faced this issue? Any recommendations? This seems to be a weak link in the design of the two piece, folding drive shaft.

Thanks

Re-installing the shaft into the lower unit should not be an issue.------You hold the lower unit upsidedown.------Gently push the shaft up and in while turning the shaft.

Thanks Racerone. Its interesting that you suggest turning the lower unit upside-down. After I pulled the shaft, and before I had the new water pump, I tried re-inserting it with the lower unit rightside-up. That did not work, as I couldn't get the splined shaft to enter the splined gear in the gear box. So, I tried turning the lower unit upside down and inserted the shaft up into the gearbox, and as you suggest, it went right in. But I was wondering if I was just lucky and was concerned that I would not be sucessfull the second time when I install the water pump. Sure would be nice though, not to have to try and drive out those frozen pins to remove the coupler.

Another observation on my 3 hp Lightwin project; there is no gasket for the water pump impeller housing, not does the parts diagram show one. Should I use any sealant?

Thanks again.

I feel better now about pulling the shaft out again!

Any thoughts on using a sealant on the impeller housing?

Thanks again for the input.

You should use some kind of sealant between the stainless plate and gearcase. Nothing is needed between the plate and pump housing. It won't be the end of the world if you didn't seal the plate either, just good practice.

Back