Logo

BF45 Oil Leak and difficult to shift into reverse

loveurdj

I have a BF45 I believe around a 1996 model that I did a water impeller install, carb pull and clean on about 1 month ago. I also replaced the motor and lower unit oil. I took the boat out for a short run and everything seemed to work fine shifted forward and reverse with minimal difficulty. This motor has never shifted smoothly normally grinds a bit going into reverse and clunks going into forward. This weekend I took the boat for a long run and when I stopped the boat was very hard to go into reverse so I stopped pulled the cover and I have what appears to be black oil in the bottom of the motor. Quite a bit of oil , it doesn't appear to be coming from the motor. Any ideas can this be coming from the lower unit to the top of the motor ? My motor oil is clear and the oil in the top of the motor is a dark color not clean looking similar to the new oil in the motor. Anyhow it appears to be a major leak idea's , solutions would be appreciated.

Update to this took the boat out yesterday boat seems to be running great still with a oil leak does not seem to leak unless I am running under medium to wot. Oil appears to pool below motor on the back rear. Any ideas the oil seem to be clean looks like it may be coming from the crankcase any input would be appreciated. After removing the starter and flywheel cover it appears to be coming from the top of the motor. Also regarding the above post I changed the shift cables and this seemed to fix the shifting issue now I just have the oil leak.

Here are a couple of thoughts. You have cleaned the carbs and changed the oil. The most obvious places to look is where you may have worked....

- Make sure your oil level is about 1/4 inch below the full mark. Too much oil will be blown back through the crankcase vent hose #10 into the carburetor muffler. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/0/BF50A LRTA/MUFFLER COVER/parts.html

-While we are on hose #10, did you connect it back to the valve cover (if you took the whole bank of carburetors off)?

-Check to be sure that you did not leave the old oil filter gasket on. Double gaskets will leak.

-Lastly....make sure that the oil filter is on tight. The book says 5.8 ft-lb. I like to snug it a little more with the oil filter wrench.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. I will go over the items you have listed and report back. Took the boat out again today and same thing seeing oil in the water after a run so I will check this and get back with you .

Put some of the oil on your finger and smell it.....Just to make sure it does not smell like gear lube. Oil does not have a strong smell....gear lube does.

Mike

I took a look this evening and it appears to be motor oil definitely not smelling like gear oil. I pulled the cover and the flywheel cover and there is oil back in the top of the motor. Also I checked the oil filter, blow by hose and oil level all appear to be in good order and connected. Of note I cleaned the motor yesterday prior to heading out and there was no oil in the bottom or top it was clean. Attempting to attach pics but having issues with my iPhone. Are you able to attach pictures from a phone?

If it is staying clean, it might also just be left over oil from the oil filter area that leaked out during your oil change.

I do not know if iphone pictures can be uploaded...never tried.

Mike

Have you ever had any experience using the oil leak detector dye ? I was think about cleaning the motor up good again and adding some due to verify where the oil is originating?

So I just got around to cranking this motor up with some of the dye in the motor oil it is coming out of the crankshaft seal does the entire powerhead need to be removed to service that?

Back