Logo

1994 dp-c

Only work would be R&R of the usual stuff in the outdrive. Shield is in need of cleanup from corrosion and a paint job ...

Just an FYI.... the DP-C flywheel cover incorporates a single bearing PDS, of which means that this PDS can be removed without removing the engine.

This single bearing PDS also uses a pilot nose, of which requires the crankshaft bushing.

Getting ready to have the steering fork bushings and other stuff replaced. Also having the engine pulled to properly install 'J' hoses, '94 5.7GiPMDA (late model). I'm stuck on the single PDS bearing: schematics call for a bearing that is open, how does this get lubricated? :confused:

Unless someone machined the flywheel cover and provided threads for an 18 inch grease gun extension hose (for bearing box lubrication porting), the bearing will be sealed.
A single 62062RS for example.
The 6206 is an open bearing.

VP schematics for the single PDS show the bearing to be 3851019, was 11013, hence the conundrum. In your considered opinion, what's the highest quality sealed bearing available ... :)

VP schematics for the single PDS show the bearing to be 3851019, was 11013, hence the conundrum. In your considered opinion, what's the highest quality sealed bearing available ... :)

These are all a single PDS ( primary drive shaft ).

Depending on the model, the PDS may be a single or double bearing.
In your case, your PDS will be a single bearing, and will have a pilot nose at the forward end.
( make sure that your crankshaft is fitted with a pilot bushing)

The VP pn 3851019 is an industry standard bearing. Volvo Penta simply repackages the industry standard bearing and puts their p/n on it.

Most any bearing from Germany, Japan or even out of Taiwan are going to be good quality.
Steer completely clear of any Chinese bearings!

Last edited:
The VP pn 3851019 is an industry standard bearing.

And it's also an 'open' bearing. I guess my frustration is ordering parts from the Volvo schematics, and they aren't the correct part. What the heck did folk do before the internet! I understand 62062RS is the closed version (thanks for that) and have one on order, just don't understand why there's no closed bearing listed by VP (that I can find) ... :(

See post # 5 again re; the C drive PDS.

The VP pn 3851019 is an industry standard bearing.

And it's also an 'open' bearing. I guess my frustration is ordering parts from the Volvo schematics, and they aren't the correct part.
Are you using an OEM service or work shop manual???? Or Seloc or Clymers????

What the heck did folk do before the internet! I understand 62062RS is the closed version (thanks for that) and have one on order, just don't understand why there's no closed bearing listed by VP (that I can find) ... :(

The 6206 designates the bearing.
The 2RS designates "sealed" bearing.
You can take a 62062RS and pick the seals from it and have a 6206...... but not the other way around.

Trust me...... with the C drive and single bearing PDS, (unless you were to create grease porting to the Bearing Box area..... of which can be done), you need a sealed 62062RS.

If interested in grease porting the BB, I can send you my instructions! (you will not find anything on this via Volvo Penta, by the way)

Just to be clear....... the AQ series OHC 4 cylinder engines, and the in-line 6 cylinder engines w/ single bearing PDS use an "open" bearing.
However, these Flywheel Covers are grease ported..... whereas the C and later Flywheel Covers are NOT!
If grease ported.....we must use an "open" bearing.
If NOT grease ported...... we must use a "sealed" bearing.

I'm using factory books and factory web schematics. I understand (now) 62062RS is the correct bearing for my single PDS, but I still don't understand why VP doesn't reference it by separate part number, saves ordering the incorrect part number because of the part number that IS referenced in the literature ... :mad:

Last edited:
I too don't understand why V/P would list an incorrect part number....... they are typically pretty darn good and accurate.

As I mentioned before, all of the older AQ series OHC 4's, and all of the older in-line 6 cylinder engines used a single bearing PDS.
These were serviceable via a grease port in the flywheel cover....... therefor these were open bearings.
The BB (bearing box) is sealed at both front and rear areas so that the grease can be pumped into the BB cavity and that the excess grease can exit the 6206 ball cage..... just as what we want to see.

If (key word "IF") your engine is out, and if you have work bench access to your 5.7GIPMDA flywheel cover, you could add a grease port and use an "open" bearing and extend the life of this bearing.

This would require a bit of machine work..... but it's not too extensive.
I've walked a few people through the procedure in the past.

Look closely at the BB (bearing box). There is a seal at the FWD end, and a seal at the AFT end.
If we can port the BB, grease can be added to the cavity.
The FWD seal will hold...... the grease will pass through the 6206...... the AFT seal will breach (just as we want it to) and the 6206 becomes purged.

NOTE: when lubricating PDS bearings, make sure that the engine is running at idle speed. (Dynamic -vs- Static lubrication)

Attachments

• single bearing PDS w added grease port.jpg
    single bearing PDS w added grease port.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
... they are typically pretty darn good and accurate.

That's what I've found, but not in this case. Number 4 lists as VP 11013, which supersedes to 3851019. It's the same bearing number as the forward bearing in the double bearing PDS. Will be interested to see what bearing comes out of it ... :p

pds sche.JPG

The forward bearing (in a double bearing PDS scenario..... whether open or sealed) will be a 6007.
The 6007 has a much larger ID.

The 6206 has a much smaller ID.

The 6206 (whether open or sealed) is used on all gasoline engine Volvo Penta PDS's.

Last edited:
Back